c drive too small for music, e drive empty!!

Lippy 17:46 16 Jun 2007

Hi All,
Just bought a new laptop and been putting my music files on it. I believe it has 2 drives. One 111gb approx) divided into 2 (C & D) and one (another 111gb approx), E. My user account and documents/data, music, videos, pictures etc. are all stored by default on the C: drive which has rapidly filled up. How can I change this so that my files are all on the vacant E drive. Why is it set up this way anyway, surely the owners user files on a pc are going to take up the bulk of the space?
I'm using Vista on this laptop.
Thanks in advance,
Lippy

FreeCell 17:56 16 Jun 2007

Try this to relocate documenbts to your other drive
click here

eedcam 18:29 16 Jun 2007

Open explorer and drag the folder to the other Drive

Lippy 13:47 17 Jun 2007

Hi Freecell, I tried what was sggested hereand all is seemed to do is rename my Documents folder "E:\local drive" If I now try to restoreas it wasit won't let me and raises an error message " Failed to build the list of regular subfolders under "E:\ system volume information" Access is denied"
So now I've lost the easy link to Documents and the C: drive is still full. Any ideas what's happened?
Lippy

eedcam 15:09 17 Jun 2007

System Restore ?

FreeCell 09:27 18 Jun 2007

Lippy
Can you give us more information on your computer (Make/ model).

Sounds like you don't actually have a separate E: drive as you stated. Two hard drives in a laptop is certainly unusual and what is flagged as E: may just be a recovery/backup virtual drive. Do you have any back-up software installed?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?