Buying a laptop

prdcb1 14:49 02 Nov 2005

I am currently looking for my first laptop I have had a desktop pc for many years. my current desktop has 512mb of ram and a 80gb hard drive. I only use it for internet and storing digital photo's etc, not particulary demanding stuff. So my question is should I look for a laptop with the same sort of spec as my pc? I what else should i be looking for?

Jackcoms 15:39 02 Nov 2005

What's your budget?

prdcb1 19:30 02 Nov 2005

My budget is £700 but would pay slightly more for a decent model but not more than a £1000

josie mayhem 23:43 03 Nov 2005

Are you looking for the laptop to replace your desktop, as in space saving, or to complement your desk top?

I say this, because even though I am very happy with my laptop that I brought last August, it is heavy to lug around.

What I looked for when I brought it was; connectivity i.e usb, firewire, LAN, then I wanted a DVD rewriter, you have to be careful here as there are quite a lot of laptops that have the ability to read DVDs but can't write to them (IMHO if it can't write a DVD the it's useless) then I went for hard drive size, the bigger the better, and with the memory, then at least MB, the more the better.

As for the processor, well if you can get a centurion (not sure weather I spelled that right) go for it, other wise either a AMD or P4 (with the P4, it does take a lot of power to run)leave the celeron well alone..

As for graphic card, be careful here most are shared, so remember that if you have a 128mb graphic card, then this can be a large chunk out of 512mb, consider seriously upgrading memory to the highest available.

And then you get battery life, but this only becomes important it you intend to do a lot of mobile work, then the centurion processor is very good on battery life, but if you are going to use your mains supply then battery life isn't much of a worry.

I hope that this isn't do confusing and helps abit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough, a non-profit against sexual misconduct

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)