To buy a new or used laptop replacement screen?

Toby__Anderson 20:04 21 Mar 2017

Hey,

Recently bought a second hand Macbook Pro 13" off a friend for £150.00 ($187.00). The screen is broken and needs to be replaced. I can buy a new screen/flawless second hand screen for about £150.00 ($187.00) on eBay and then re sell the laptop on almost perfect condition with only a few slight scratches on the bottom.

I can also get a laptop screen for £39.00 ($48.00) that is grade C and has one major dent in the corner of the screen but it works perfectly. (I have attached images of the dent and scratch).

I am wondering whether I should get the £39.00 screen as it would save me £110.00. Although I'm not very experienced on selling and what people pay for so I have a feeling that I would not sell the laptop for £110 more simply because the screen is in better condition but I'm not sure.

For instance, if I were to sell it for £350.00 with the dented screen then I have made £160.00 profit but if I sell it with the good screen I would have to sell it for at least £460.00 to make the same profit.

What are people experiences and opinions on this? Also, how much would you sell/buy said laptop for, keep in mind I live in the UK if that makes any difference to pricing etc...

Specs: intel i5 2.5ghz, 4gb Ram, 500gb HDD

Screen images: click here,

Toby

Thanks

Forum Editor 22:43 21 Mar 2017

We don't provide help with selling prices for used equipment. This is a judgement you will have to make yourself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE 5G review: How fast is 5G in the UK?

Chiara Luber brings vintage postcards to life in her summery ode to Hepburn and romance

How to install the iOS 13 beta on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleurs ├ętuis et housses pour Kindle (2019)