Burning CDs

geoff47 23:30 11 May 2003

I am using win98se and am having no other problems except for the fact my daughter and I cannot burn CDs.
We have tried Nero Instant CD from PCA disk and she has acquired Another which has slipped my mind.
The progs get right through the test and then say there is a problem,Tried to use slower burn speed as suggested,but still no joy.
Any suggestions?
Thanks Geoff47

powerless 23:33 11 May 2003

Use a different brand of disk.

Scandisk and defragment that hard drive.

geoff47 23:52 11 May 2003

Have tried two brands of disk...and have defragged....will go for a Scandisk right now......be back in three days.
Thanks geoff47

geoff47 22:34 12 May 2003

Changed disk brands,defragged,scandisked,and altered the settings in device manager for cd writer unticked DMA....and still no go.
Help me please.
Geoff47

geoff47 22:34 12 May 2003

Changed disk brands,defragged,scandisked,and altered the settings in device manager for cd writer unticked DMA....and still no go.
Help me please.
Geoff47

Switcher 22:52 12 May 2003

Try this program it is called Burnquick and I have found it first class. I even paid the £11-00 to register it.

click here

reddwarfcrew 22:52 12 May 2003

You need to buy the right discs.

EG your cd burner might burn up to 52x, but you may have bought discs that can only be written up to 4x.

If you try to write at a faster speed that the discs allow, you'll hit problems.

Try writing at 1x speed (you should be able to change this in nero) and see if that works.

Yoshtar 07:54 13 May 2003

Are you trying to burn 'on-the-fly?' Or are you burning an 'image file' to you HDD first?

I would recommend using Nero to create an image file on your HDD then burn that image file to your CD.

Octoz 13:42 13 May 2003

Are you running any AV software?
I used to find that unless I switched NAV off, I would get error messages.

Confab 13:51 13 May 2003

There could be lots of reasons why your CD's aren't burning but we first need some more info from you.(It's better than having a guess). Whats your operating system, what CD Drive do your have and did it come with any burning software? What exactly is the error message that you get. I note that you have win98 and that would indicate that you have had your pc for a while, has the Cd drive worked ok in the past it . Do you actually have a CDRW drive?

Regards

geoff47 18:35 13 May 2003

When I get asked questions like that I realise how little I know about the PC.I am using Win 98se,yes I have a both a WPI CDRW-4424
and a Hitachi DVD-rom GD-2500...whatever that means.
I had Nero supplied and have been using a variety of burning software.The latest from PCA disk Instant CD..also another that I downloaded but have since deleted.I will have to try to burn again and note the error message.I have tried the scandisk and defragging and the slowest speed...to be honest havn't tried it with Nero yet but will do and report back.
Hope the information is enough.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Geoff47

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?