Building a pc advice required

toni b 02:24 12 Aug 2003

I am currently buying components to build a pc .
I am trying to get a reasonable spec so far I have the following :Aopen AX4R Plus Motherboard
:WD Raptor 36GB 10,000 RPM HD
:Barracuda 120GB 7,200 RPM HD
I plan for two banks of 512 DDR ECC Memory (paired)
and a least 2.6ghz P4 or higher processor
Can any body please advise on a suitable Casing and the recommeded PSU wattage, also My father uses a lot of CAD programes so can any body suggest a suitable grapichs card ( I think this is going to be very expsensive) and anything else deemed neccesary So far all info I have learnt is purely through reading the mag, but as i have a poor memory for all the tech stuff I was hoping for advice from the powers above

thanks

toni

goonerbill 09:10 13 Aug 2003

if ya doing a lot of CAD work, this is the graphics card ya want click here

its going to cost a packet though and nothing by ATI or NVidia comes close.

toni b 02:17 14 Aug 2003

Matrox ParheliaTM 256Mb I have looked at the website and I know very little about components ,so if i compared this to the 9700 and 5800 from ATI & NVidia would it also be suitable for gaming? ,In the magazines they recently done a comparison and this card was not mentioned so i am little baffled .I understand this is for professional users but i just want to be sure it performs as well as the other 2 cards mentioned ,I am sorry but the little knowledge I have has been learnt through reading pc mags.so your advise on this woulde be most appreciated

thanks Toni

hugh-265156 02:22 14 Aug 2003

have a look click here too.

toni b 02:40 14 Aug 2003

sorry but i tried the above link but when i try and compare the two top 2 products the page freezes and then after a few minutes returns to the same page also the same has happend when trying to view helproom any suggestions?

toni

hugh-265156 03:26 14 Aug 2003

works ok here.try clearing your browser cache maybe and then try it.

toni b 13:26 14 Aug 2003

got the link working thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?