Building first computer - advice?

Jakey boy 17:50 02 Dec 2003

Ok, I'm toying with the idea of building a computer from scratch. It would be a hobby/project, but I'm lost in the maze of mobos and CPU's etc. I would prefer a P4 system, and intend to purchase components gradually. If I select a case that I like the look of, can anyone advise me on mobo, cpu, etc? I'm a complete novice at this, but I think I am confident/competent enough to take it on, since I'm no stranger to upgrading memory, expansion cards etc, etc. Any advice welcomed.

sil_ver 18:19 02 Dec 2003

Building a PC from scratch can be as expensive as buying one that's ready to go. As for components there are as many options as there are people to offer advice.

Jakey boy 18:28 02 Dec 2003

I get your point, so what if I buy a case w/psu, and then buy bits and bobs second hand from classifieds/ebay etc. Surely I could put together a half decent system?

Jakey boy 18:31 02 Dec 2003

I think you are getting my drift. I want to do this as a hobby/interest. I need something new to keep me occupied in my spare time. I'm aware that it could be expensive in the long run, but I'd rather be sure that I had a system I could add to/expand/upgrade in my own time and to my own specs.

Jakey boy 19:18 02 Dec 2003

I don't know what I want to spend, nor really what I want to build yet, but I know that feeling of achievement. I get it every time I add a new HDD or graphics card (and it works) or help someone else with a computer problem with success. I see building a machine myself as a challenge, and am quite prepared to take on whatever that challenge presents to me. When I start I'll no doubt be posting for advice tho :-)

sil_ver 19:40 02 Dec 2003

Just bear in mind that your pride and joy is useless without an OS and they are not cheap unless you cheat or go for Linux.

Trackrat 20:44 02 Dec 2003

Take a look at this site it should help click here

Jakey boy 08:05 03 Dec 2003

I'm now convinced this is what i want to do! Apart from the pessimistic and negative comments from Sil_ver, you have all been extremely helpful and supportive. I am already getting excited at the prospect of my first build! Thanks again for all the advice and positive comments and links etc. I'll post if I get stuck at any point. This is a fantastic forum btw, glad to be part of it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Forza Horizon 4 review

Be Warned Mac users - Mojave Breaks Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs