Hot Topics

BT powerline extender wifi hotspot

Jonno the Barbarian 13:17 07 Sep 2016

I have installed a BT extender Flex 1000 powerline kit with one end next to router and one end next to TV. Works well. However with a 1m thick wall between router and kitchen. Can I plug in a device to give me a wifi hotspot using the powerline created network so I can use devices in the kitchen on wifi?!?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:55 07 Sep 2016

yes as long as kitchen is on same ring main as the one next to the router.

robin_x 16:36 07 Sep 2016

This new tech is dang tricky.

I think you should have bought this instead of this

ie Powerline and Wifi kit. I don't think the individual unit is compatible for you. It's just a Wifi extender repeater and will try to amplify the Wifi through the wall, instead of from the Mains cables.

=-=-=-=

Is it too late to try and change your kit? If you've only just bought them and packaging OK, you could ask.

Otherwise, I think you need a Wireless Access point (AP)that connects by Ethernet RJ45 cable to the kit you have.

Something like this or this

=-=-=-=-=

Or if you have an old router or hub these can often be used (with the settings changed)

Or a laptop, connected by cable, can act as a Mobile Wifi Hotspot

Although, I find it a bit hit and miss.

robin_x 16:41 07 Sep 2016

Read amazon reviews in full ('ish) or Google what you are buying, to make sure the kit supports latest streaming and casting and whatever else stuff that I don't have a clue about. (I just came across a comment somewhere)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S20 Fan Edition: Rumoured specs, availability and more

“Drawing a comic is like directing a movie”: Cartoonist Chendi Xu on her European yarns

Apple Breakfast: iOS 14 public beta & iPhone 12 price rise

Offre exclusive : Windows 10 Pro à seulement 39,99 €