Hot Topics

BT Email receiving emails OK but not sending

collinsc 16:35 27 Mar 2020
Answered

Hi All

Would really appreciate some help for an issue my Dad is facing. Normally i'd be over there looking to find a fix as he is not too savvy.

He says he is receiving emails OK but they are not always sending. He first had the error on 25/03 and then it cleared (after i told him to try a restart!) and he was able to send mails. But today he has said he has the same issue. I am including below the response he received first time round from "SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR" (so he says). NB: I am the intended recipient "Chris X" "Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:     RE: MOT

Sent:  25/03/2020 10:55

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'Chris X' on 25/03/2020 10:55

550 spam, or phishing or malware.  Please check or edit your message and try sending it again. (6-1-3-2) ID (5E3A16DE0792B914)

"

Advice really appreciated so i can text him how to resolve.

Thank you!

Jollyjohn 16:15 30 Mar 2020

Get onto Teamviewer and do it on his PC. Do try the "My server needs authorisation" trick

collinsc 17:05 30 Mar 2020

thanks Jolly. i dont want to sound like a skinflint, but times are not easy at the moment and i understand it is £31.90 a month? so im trying to try free options before reverting to that

x13 17:22 30 Mar 2020
Answer
  collinsc 17:45 30 Mar 2020

oh right, great, thanks very much!

Secret-Squirrel 08:20 31 Mar 2020

he has confirmed he has NOT received any undelivered messages that he did not send himself.

Thanks for confirming that.

It's still a mystery why BT thinks your dad's a spammer. Getting a new IP address may help so ask your dad to turn his router off for 30 minutes (or longer if possible). When he turns it back on he'll be assigned a different Internet address and that may fix things.

Note that disabling "My server requires authentication" can only help if your dad's ISP is BT. If he's with a different broadband provider then it'll make things worse and he'll end up with two sending problems.

collinsc 16:16 31 Mar 2020

Thanks Secret- squirrell

I will advise him to switch off router for a period of time.

noted on the "My server requires authentication" - His ISP IS BT

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixelbook Go review

All the Creative Live Streams that'll save 2020

macOS 10.15.5 causes backup problems

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans