BT Broadband .. dropping out at 5 min intervals

JimButler 17:21 27 Jan 2006

Hi, a family member has BT`s 1 meg service.
The modem is USB only ( no wireless connections ). His B/Band connection is dropping out essentially every 5 mins ( sometimes 6 ). I montitored events for about 1 hour. I have the connection set to re-dial, which it does OK.
At dropout a message re "Line failure" is briefly displayed before the re-dialling takes place. He has SKY satellite service but I have disconnected this at Tele socket to see if this may be the culprit ... no joy. Any ideas tech-heads ????

Graham ® 17:56 27 Jan 2006

Stop the re-dial and give us the full message.

madPentium 18:27 27 Jan 2006

typical when you are some distance from the exchange. The weather can especially affect it.
If you open the status of the connection while downloading something, I bet you see several errors appearing?

Stuartli 20:01 27 Jan 2006

If you use Internet Explorer, go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections tab>Settings button>Advanced tab.

Check that the two Disconnect If... boxes are both unchecked.

JimButler 13:26 29 Jan 2006

Further to all above. Disconnect If boxes are already unchecked. Attempting to obtain info ie exact "Line Failure" error code if possible. Will get back ASAP.

Kenneth-266656 15:03 29 Jan 2006

You say that you are with BT so presumably you have BT Broadband Desktop Help. Open Desktop Help and run the Health Check - this will test your line and connections

JimButler 12:50 01 Feb 2006

Yeah I know, all tests show all OK ( Modem, Line etc etc ). I am awaiting further info but I would suspect some process or other is attempting to use the connection in a way that actually drops the connect. As I say, I am awaiting an error code or some info from event logs.... this part is outside my control.
PS Have also run Ad-Aware on sys. to catch any possible junk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?