BSOD on Dell xps13 - no display at all

john bunyan 18:14 12 Jun 2018
Answered

Newish Dell XPS 13 . Turns on but no sign of any display -,totally black . In warranty but too late to phone Dell UK support. External display not working. Have premium support but any tips in the meantime?

john bunyan 18:15 12 Jun 2018

Ps tried holding start down etc

rdave13 10:24 13 Jun 2018

Hope you've got it fixed by now otherwise have you tried removing the battery and power source and holding down the power button for 30 seconds?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:41 13 Jun 2018

If you have done the above without success and nothing on external monitor having cycled through the screen options via Fn + (f?) F5 (on mine)

then its looking like a failed graphics chip.

john bunyan 19:44 13 Jun 2018

Gentlemen- thanks. Have been away all day in London but will get on to Dell tomorrow. You can’t remove the battery as it is buried inside. I think FB is right. I did pay for 3 year premium service. Trouble is they can’t look at it remotely as the screen is blank , so there is all the faff of trying to get somebody on the phone, repacking it etc. I only did a Dell Sevice Assist hardware scan an hour before it died. I have my iPhone for surfing and my desktop which both get my e mails so it could be worse.

wee eddie 20:11 13 Jun 2018

The thing is. Just because your screen is blank does not necessarily mean that theirs will be.

Although logging them in may be problematic

john bunyan 20:51 13 Jun 2018

Wee Eddie

As I can’t see a screen I can’t sign in with my password. Also my wife and I share it with different sign ins. As there is no signal when plugged into my external monitor via HDMI , I think FB is right.

wee eddie 21:03 13 Jun 2018

Shouldn't stop you logging in.

Turn it on 》 After a suitable wait, hit Carriage Return 》 The Cursor is automatically placed in the box 》 Type your Password and a Carriage Return 》 Although you can't see anything, you're in.

john bunyan 22:12 13 Jun 2018

*wee eddie *

Ok ; if they want me to do that I will. For me , without Dell on line , even if in I can’t run tests etc

wee eddie 22:49 13 Jun 2018

How do you normally put it online?

rdave13 23:09 13 Jun 2018

Just a shot in the dark, I remember you saying you have an SD card permanently connected. Try removing it and any other periferal and try booting. Never know!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Shadow of the Tomb Raider review

Julian Glander recreates your art school experience in quirky video game Art Sqool

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

TV & streaming : comment regarder la Ligue des Champions 2018-2019 ?