BSOD - again...

[email protected] 10:42 30 Oct 2008

XP Home sp3 - working perfectly last night now the BSOD on bootup this morning.
I have tried last known good but no success and system restored back a few times via safe mode and I am now back where I was last night.
Boots into safe mode ok but sfc doesn't appear to run in safe mode.
Anything else I can try?

iscanut 10:43 30 Oct 2008

What error message is shown on the screen ?

[email protected] 10:47 30 Oct 2008

Hi Nuts.
It's too fast to know, just a flash of blue.

[email protected] 11:50 30 Oct 2008

ok, I managed to get the BSOD permanent for me to read it:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x00000000, 0xBAD07348, 0xBAD07044)

baldydave 13:30 30 Oct 2008

Hi,
This might help
click here

baldydave 13:33 30 Oct 2008

Forgot to add,is there any other info on BSOD after the stop 0x etc eg driver or anything else listed?

Kingfisher 13:49 30 Oct 2008

A friend of mine is changing his xp pc to a vista premium pc, he has about 8gig of music in his itune folder, is it possible to transfer his existing itunes folder to his new pc. I have googled this but there seems to be a conflict of opinion, some say save it to a memeory stick and then transfer it ,other say this wont work you have to transfer the library files as well, bit confused can anyone help
thankyou

iscanut 14:40 30 Oct 2008

You are lost..in the wrong thread !!!

[email protected] 15:38 30 Oct 2008

Sri for delay - weekly shopping.
No other info on the error line, exactly as I stated. The BAD reference could be "Sectors"?
I have been ploughing through the MS stuff with regard to the "7E" Stop but it's all getting a bit heavy.
I am currently working through this advice:
click here
Thanks for the link baldydave, I was there before I gave my pension to the checkout....
Uhhhh, Hi Kingfisher!
So, another quiet evening at home trying to fix instead of working/playing :-(
Maybe this IS working? Let you know how I get on of course ;-)

[email protected] 16:31 30 Oct 2008

It's worse now, merde!
Having read it may be a driver issue, I followed MS advice and looked at the drivers recently installed which were un-signed. This happened to be my Acronis program.
I disabled it then tried a reboot and now I am unable to get into Safe Mode.
The error message has changed though so I have made some progress arf arf arf. It's now a 7B error which points heavily at a driver issue.
I don't have the Repair option so I think I will get a new HDD and do a clean install on that then mount my other HDD's as slaves in order to recover the data, unless anyone has any other ideas? Get outside a bottle of wine perhaps...

[email protected] 17:35 30 Oct 2008

I have tried the chkdsk via recovery console and although it advised me "it had found one or more errors on the volume" it still won't boot into safe mode.
I think I will go with my plan B and fit a new HDD.
Thanks for taking an interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)