Broken hinge on HP laptop

indego 15:55 08 Feb 2019

Hi all, I have an HP windows 10 laptop which is 2 months over the warranty period. Recently the left hinge flipped out of the lid. It happened as I was opening the lappy. It seemed a little difficult as the opening of the lid progressed, so I applied a little more pressure then...crunch, The hinge flipped out of the lid which exposed the (insulated) cable that links the lid to the main body of the laptop. I wonder if anyone has had the same or similar experience and, if so what was the cost of a repair. Thanks in advance for any answers. indigo

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:59 08 Feb 2019

What model of HP laptop?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:01 08 Feb 2019

and where are you located? click here

indego 01:30 09 Feb 2019

Thank you Fruit Bat /\0/\ for your reply. (1) The Model is 17-ak0xx This Model number is taken from System Information. (2) I am in Liverpool.

I have viewed the very informative link, but feel this repair is for the expert. The part of the hinge that was once part of the lid, is exposed along with cable leading from it to the main part of the laptop, which limits my use of it as I have to have the left end of the lid supported to take the strain off the cable.

I am interested in the approx. cost of the repair if it is worth it. Because of the extent of the damage to the lid, I feel that the whole lid needs replacing because small pieces of black plastic were found on the table when I moved the laptop. I am amazed that it still functions perfectly despite the current problem with the lid. indigo

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:46 09 Feb 2019

The cost of repair could be high £150+ because of the labour costs of stripping the laptop down and rebuilding.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 9 Release Date, Price & Spec Rumours

Illustrator Owen Davey on how he's created a successful series of animal-themed children's picture…

MacBook Pro 2019 release date, 16in MacBook Pro news and rumours

Xiaomi Mi 9 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs