Broadband using Ethernet or USB connection

as400man 07:54 27 Jan 2003

I am about to install ntl broadband (from set top box) and ntl advise connecting via USB. However someone told me that an ethernet connection is better for bandwidth. I can connect either way. Any idea if either is better than the other?

Andsome 08:29 27 Jan 2003

I have used USB on my previous computer, but when I had this one built I included an ethernet card. This was due to the general consensus on previous threads that this was better. I cannot say that I have noticed any difference myself, but then I didn't really expect to, as this computer is like a ferrari compared with a trabbant when compared with my last machine. It is a pity that it is now so difficult to do a site search since the changes, but I do seem to recall a large majority of all the site egg heads, came down on the side of ethernet. I myself discssed it with an NTL engineer, and he said go for ethernet. DO HOWEVER remove your old dial up account first, as many have experienced conflicts, I did on my old machine.

Sir Radfordin™ 08:42 27 Jan 2003

Been using USB on Telewest connection and its fine really. Real reason for doing it was that it saved adding another NIC to connect the whole lot to a network and share the connection. That has since changed, but the cable modem is still on the USB port.

If you are short os USB ports use a NIC, if USB ports aren't a problem and/or you don't have a NIC then don't worry too much.

BRYNIT 10:12 27 Jan 2003

With NTL BB I found less problems using Ethernet it also free up usb for other things.

mark3110 10:18 27 Jan 2003

Ethernet also uses less processor power then USB. USB can use quite a lot of resouces I changed to ethernet and found things a bit easier and quicker.

Regards

Mark

Tazfan 10:52 27 Jan 2003

Ethernet. I dont know anyone who uses USB. Loads of my mates have BB, and they all use Ethernet, as do I. At first, when I had BB (2 years ago {TIME FLIES!!!]) USB wasnt supported by NTL, and they said that the best way to connect was Ethernet. Last I heard, they still did suggest Ethernet. They have obviously changed their minds.

jazzypop 11:40 27 Jan 2003

I have been asked to investigate several NTL cable modems that were not performing as expected in terms of bandwidth.

Without exception, changing from USB to Ethernet gave a noticeable improvement.

as400man 17:27 28 Jan 2003

I went with ethernet and it's great.
Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?