BroadBand Usage 16 Gig Per Month..?

syylo 14:04 21 Nov 2008

Hi guys.Gals

My mother has a broadband package that’s limited to 2 Gig cap per month & is charged £14 pm as she’s 60 & lives on her own, if she exceeds that usage then she's charged £2.00 per gig, honestly the only sites she uses is Face Book & MSN she doesnt download nothing no p2p's or torrent, if the grandkids come over they use CBBC's (Kids site) & MSN, last month she received a bill for £57 & the company said she was something like 26/27 gig over the cap? so she paid it then this month she's just received a bill for £46..? again apparently going over the limit..?

I find this unbelievable & I am NOT convinced she has used that much as she only uses the pc 3/4 times per week for a hour or two each time, She isn’t on Wireless she uses a Modem & the company is sticking to there gun's..? can anyone shed any light into this as ive no idea what so ever on what’s going on...?

TY

I am Spartacus 14:20 21 Nov 2008

I know you say she isn't on wireless but is it a wireless modem that's unsecured and being used without her knowledge?

Pine Man 14:28 21 Nov 2008

Does she watch BBC iPlayer or ITV?

A lot of people think that, because they don't necessarily actually download TV progs, it doesn't count.

DippyGirl 14:35 21 Nov 2008

If she isnt actively using it, make sure
the service Kservice isnt running and is set to manual start
Run > Services.msc
I have it set to manual start

syylo 16:04 21 Nov 2008

Hi guy's, the modem my mother uses is connected to a telephone line...if thats helps also she never uses BBCIplayer...thanks for the suggestions though..:-)

Pine Man 16:13 21 Nov 2008

Has the modem/router got an aerial on it?

Pine Man 16:15 21 Nov 2008

Aerial looks about the thickness of a pencil and about half the length. Usually sticking up from the back.

DippyGirl 16:16 21 Nov 2008

As ßeta says it may be best to start monitoring. Have a look at this click here There are plenty of free monitors available

Clapton is God 16:21 21 Nov 2008

Rather than worrying about how much your Mum is using and/or installing bandwidth meters, wouldn't it be simpler to switch to an ISP which doesn't have a cap?

I am Spartacus 16:28 21 Nov 2008

You wouldn't be more than mildly curious if your usage went up from 2GB to 25GB?

Clapton is God 16:38 21 Nov 2008

"You wouldn't be more than mildly curious if your usage went up from 2GB to 25GB?"

We're not talking about me, so the question is irrelevant.

I use an ISP which doesn't have caps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

HomePod review

Comment regarder les Oscars 2018 ?