Broadband speed check

Bmay 11:08 06 May 2006

I have NTL cable broadband with ethernet connection.....I would like to check my connection speed as NTL says I have been upgraded from 1Mb to 2Mg and now seems to be promising 4MG. As I have not noticed any difference in the service it may be my modem is not capable of working with increased speed.
a] Can anyone recommend a safe site or small programme I could use to check the speed?
b] If I manage the test what can be considered a reasonable speed? My desktop that is connected by cables has always stated 100.0 Mbps on the icon in the system tray. My laptop which connects wirelessly gives varying speeds ranging from 54 Mbps(best) down to 12 Mbps(worst). This silver surfer would welcome advice from you experts out there but please make it simple.
Bmay

mgmcc 12:36 06 May 2006

<<< I would like to check my connection speed >>>

Try this speed test site - click here

<<< My desktop that is connected by cables has always stated 100.0 Mbps on the icon in the system tray. My laptop which connects wirelessly gives varying speeds ranging from 54 Mbps(best) down to 12 Mbps(worst). >>>

These speeds are not those of your broadband internet connection. The standard speed at which a "wired" ethernet network runs is 100Mbps, so this is the speed at which your network adapter is communicating with the router. Similarly, the optimum speed for an 802.11g wireless network is 54Mbps, so this is the speed at which your Wireless Network Adapter is communicating with the router.

Bmay 12:53 06 May 2006

Thank you so much for explaining what the connection speeds I can see mean....am now off to follow your link and test my internet speed.
Bmay

Bmay 13:12 06 May 2006

Have done speed test...very pleased to confirm that NTL is doing what it says.
Thanks again to mgmcc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?