broadband sharing with a difference?

serpoid 16:49 12 Jun 2003

Hi
I am trying to share an ntl connection between two pc's....but i need to access the connection when either machine is off...is this impossible.
I have a USB router.
Any suggestions much appreciated.

Regards

Serpoid

Kobayashimaru 17:35 12 Jun 2003

If the NTL Modem has an ethernet connector on the back as well as a USB one then all you have to do is plug it directly into a switch.

I've got mine running off a 5 port switch and know both my work pc and laptop and the kids machines can access the internet on there own accord.

serpoid 17:46 12 Jun 2003

Hi Kobayashimaru

Thanx for responding but can you clarify the setup of your equptment in stages for me please...Thanx in advance

Serpoid

jazzypop 19:33 12 Jun 2003
  Despicable Desperado 22:23 12 Jun 2003

Believe NTL modems have both usb and ethernet ports so why not connect one to the usb and the other to the ethernet?

keith-236785 23:25 12 Jun 2003

Despicable Desperado is correct, my NTL provided modem can connect via USB or LAN (ethernet)

as Kobayashimaru says, a switch would enable the internet connection to be used by any of the pcs without others having to be switched on

im afraid im a bit dumb as i dont know the difference between a switch and a router, maybe someone could help me with this.

Despicable Desperado 23:42 12 Jun 2003

A switch is just a network hub (ie connects a given number of pcs together) but has a bit of in built intelligence - it can send information to a particular pc on the net work rather than sending it to all the pcs on the network thereby cutting down on network traffic. A router also adds internet connectibilty either by including an ISDN or ADSL modem or by providing a port to connect such a device. This is simplistic but I think you will get the gist.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?