Broadband Providers - Cheapest?

Border View 17:15 12 Sep 2004

Very close to ordering broadband but this 1gb download a month has me confused. I surf the net for family history purposes, lurking in PC Advisor Help and Consumer Watch rooms, updating Windows 98SE, Anti Virus (avg) sometimes send photographs via e-mail and other general surfing. Not into downloading music or videos or playing games on line. I run Widows 98SE have a 800 mgh AMD procesor with 128 RAM and 30 GHtz HDD.

Will the cheap option of 1 or 2 Ghtz download a month be OK for me and should I go with Wanadoo or Pipex (or any other ISP recommended by members of this forum).

Would really welcome your comments.

fsbb 17:29 12 Sep 2004

I have Wanadoo £17.99 month and use the Net for similar purposes to you. I have no problem with the download limit. Wanadoo give a guide > click here

pj123 17:52 12 Sep 2004

Yes, use the link that fsbb has provided and click on the "What does this mean" link which will give you some idea of what a 2gb limit is but also checkout AOL for their Silver BB which is £19.99 per month with no restrictions at all. Not as fast as 20x but fast enough at around 6x faster than dialup. click here

You could also have a look here click here to see if there are any other options.

palinka 18:14 12 Sep 2004

I found it all equally confusing, and my usage is varied too. I dithered for several months. Eventually I settled for Pipex Solo 250, which is only 5x but that's better than my old dial-up (46.6 or less); there's no limit on usage;it costs only £3 a month more than I was paying for a 24/7 dial up and, of course, if frees up my phone. That's how I came to my decision, it all depends what is most important to you. For me the order of importance was 1. cost; 2.restrictions on use ; 3. speed.
I'm very happy with the result.

Mister Splendid©®™! 18:21 12 Sep 2004

I know BT knocking is a popular pastime but I have BT Broadband 1Mbs with a 30GB per month limit. £24.99 following the recent price cuts and the service quality, so far, has been excellent.

Border View 18:21 12 Sep 2004

Many thanks for responding. I shall have a look at the links you suggest.

Border View 11:16 28 Sep 2004

Just to let you know that I've ordered Pipex Solo 500 unlimited at £23.99. Am awaiting delivery of modem etc and activation date. Like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Border View 15:41 02 Oct 2004

Ordered last Sunday. Modem came Friday. Up and running today Saturday. Pipex not the cheapest, but I am very impressed with the service received. Its probably been said before, but after dial up for four years - broadband can only be described as phwaaaah

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?