broadband problem?

7 10:53 27 Dec 2003

i don't have the BT line and as I in hostel and want to take broadband, i don't inderstand which to take as all the major companies has denied. kindly somebody suggests which to tak either broad band or dial up.i need to dial 9 before dialling any outside line.

Forum Editor 10:59 27 Dec 2003

via any kind of internal telephone system that requires you to dial a prefix before you can access a line you won't be able to get a broadband connection. Such a service requires the main line to be reconfigured, and you must be the BT line subscriber before you can order it.

You can use a dial up connection in the normal way, just set your dial up connection configuration so that it dials 9 before the rest of the ISP's access number.

Don't forget to put a comma (,) after the 9 so that Windows pauses before dialling out - otherwise you'll find that your computer tries to dial before you have an external line access.

7 00:39 28 Dec 2003

thanku for ur response but my problem is like i cannot change my phone line as i am staying in hostel but i want to have a broad band connection which can work on that line.this line is neither a telwest or ntl line.kindly help.

VoG II 00:44 28 Dec 2003

Hostels have ' puters? This has got to be a wind up. Wot music U nlistening to? Me Pink Fairies. Yes.

Djohn 00:52 28 Dec 2003

Morning VoG! ;o)

7 You will have to talk to the owner of the Hostel, I assume the phone line is in his/her name. Only they can authorise this for you with a provider. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)