broadband only works when telphone reciever off

armacomroll 15:04 01 May 2006

my broadband connection only works with the telephone reciever off the hook. when I replace the reciever I lose the connection.BT says my line is clear and I am trying to get help from the supplier but these bank holidays don't help. Has anyone experiencd this and if so whats the solution

Stuartli 15:22 01 May 2006

You do have an ADSL splitter/filter on the phone line socket?

armacomroll 15:34 01 May 2006

yes I have fitted new filters and a new cable but this doesn't help.Everything was working ok until a fortnignt ago when the conection stopped working properly then stopped working altogether. I then found out that the modem connected when I was using my phone and that seems to be the only way to connect now when the reciever is off

[DELETED] 15:35 01 May 2006

Back to basics, you must connect at the master socket with all extns wiring disconnected, if the problem still exists it's a BT line fault, if it's ok there then your own extn wiring is at fault.

armacomroll 15:46 01 May 2006

doesn't work tried it and BT has tedted the line twice

armacomroll 15:47 01 May 2006

doesn't work tried it and BT has tested the line twice

[DELETED] 15:48 01 May 2006

Sounds like the modem is bust, do you have a friend who could lend you theirs?

armacomroll 15:55 01 May 2006

can try but will their modem work with my supplier if just plugged in or will I need to enter a password or anything
would still welcome other thoughts on this until I try to find another modem

Stuartli 15:58 01 May 2006

Have you tried reinstalling the modem drivers?

[DELETED] 16:02 01 May 2006

If the modem is the same type, then just try a swap

armacomroll 16:12 01 May 2006

I'm using a BiPAC 7402VGP Voip/802.11g ADSL2+ Route. No driver was needed or supplied. This was PC Advisor prize I won in the December magazine competiton. 12 months subscription to freedom2surf plus router etc so I haven't used the modem 2 months yet.All filters were provided and I had no problem with connection initionally

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

16 illustration tips for packaging

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Les meilleurs antivirus pour Mac (2018)