Broadband modem won't switch on when PC started

Suzz 20:08 25 Jun 2004

I've just installed a broadband modem, supplier by Tiscali.

It works, except for:

When I turn on the computer the lights on the modem come on, but then go back off, as the computer boots.

Then, when I try to connect - it say "cannot establish a connection" - as the modem is dead.

I unplug the modem & plug it back in, it's detected and then its fine.

Using old PC, Windows 98. Any advice musch appreciated.

Graham ® 20:18 25 Jun 2004

USB? There should be no other devices on the same hub.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:27 25 Jun 2004

It should not be on a extesion hub if you are suing one. It needs to be connected to the main USB points in the computer case.

G

Suzz 20:34 25 Jun 2004

The modem is connected to the USB port in the back of the PC.

At the moment there are no other USB devices connected (PC has 2 USB ports).

To get it to be detected & switch on I have to unplug the USB cable (either from the PC or the modem itself) and plug back in.

THE TERMINATOR 22:39 25 Jun 2004

check device manager, by right clicking 'MY COMPUTER' icon and choosing properties from the menu, and check that you have no conflicts with any other hardware....TT

Dipso 23:00 25 Jun 2004

It's not the Speedtouch 330 is it. If it is, you should read this thread click here

Suzz 14:12 26 Jun 2004

I've looked at device manager. The modem doesn't seem to show up there. The first USB shows PCI-USB Universal Host Controller, the second shows Root Hub (I no longer have the hub connected as it gave me start-up problems)

My modem is a Sagem. No problems at all connecting or staying connected once it's unplugged/repludgged to switch it on.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:09 26 Jun 2004

click here to sort USB problems

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:27 26 Jun 2004

but I have a sagem [email protected] 800 modem supplied by tiscali and it is listed in device manager under network adaptors and is called USB ADSL WAN adaptor.

HTH in some way?

Tas

Suzz 01:12 27 Jun 2004

Ah yes, took a look & I've got this too. I was looking under USBs...

I'm starting to hate USBs & broadband...
Think I may need a new computer..

Dipso 21:00 27 Jun 2004

Before you take any drastic action, can you not test the modem on a mates connection? If it works OK for them consider either a router, (Ebuyer provide a budget model which is adequate), or even a PCI modem and flog the Sagem on Ebay.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?