Broadband .......major problems

Nancy166 13:12 16 Apr 2006

Problems since before Christmas and I'm about ready to give up. Difficulty accessing Internet, booted off, local connection 2, network cable unplugged.(pop up) No cable unplugged. Last major problem was loss of windows when I went into AOL System. Used Recovery disc to sort that one out. Still had initial problems with access but it soon settled down except for the occasional booting off.This morning had problems getting on again. Tried AutoFix which then said it hadn't worked and my mouse froze.I noticed during Autofix that it tried to use AOL Broadband device but my computer uses Broadband HighSpeed DSL. Tried to highlight AOL Broadband but it returns to the other.
I don't know what else to try. I've reinstalled AOL 9 God knows how many times and the same with the BT 105 modem. I've also disabled Realtek Ethernet and the internal modem...all on advice.
Is there anyone out there who can help me?

Cheers,

Moll

Nancy166 13:17 16 Apr 2006

Forgot to add. Initial access to AOL internet is usually fine. Go to the games web site and immediately booted back to desktop. Message to reinstall, or reconnecting or usually both. Then have to switch off and start again. Sometimes second attempt works and everything settles down and sometimes not.

Cheers

Moll

Forum Editor 13:22 16 Apr 2006

but maybe we can start sorting it out. First, some questions:-

You say that the last major problem was "loss of windows when I went into AOL System" - what exactly do you mean by that?

What's 'autofix' is it something to do with AOL? You'll have to forgive me here, because I have absolutely no knowledge of AOL - never used it, and haven't a clue about it.

Are you just using one computer on this connection?

Nancy166 13:28 16 Apr 2006

Hi,
I went into programmes and then into AOL System to check modem etc. As soon as I clicked on ANYTHING in there the screen went black. Even did it when I checked device manager to see if anything was clashing. never mentioned this before. Wasn't sure if there was any significance but when I'm on the Internet there is a bipping sound....two at a time. No I'm not going mad...well not yet!

Cheers

Moll

phil46 14:15 16 Apr 2006

Click on start then programs click on AOL then system info then utillities clear AOL CACHE then uninstall adapter then restart AOL and see what happens,Also check your firewall isn't blocking AOL,Check AOL dialer is disabled,if you use a router also check the WAN setting AOL will advise on this if you use one.
If your using a USB ADSL modem then it should not be plugged into a USB Card if other hardware is connected as they pull the power it should be plugged into the USB sockets on the MOBO.

SB23 16:06 16 Apr 2006

Another thing you could try is to go to Control Panel, Add or Remove, find Aol Connectivity Services, click on change/remove, then click repair. Let it do its stuff, then try and reconnect. This has solved my connection problems countless times.
Hope it helps.

SB23

Nancy166 16:29 16 Apr 2006

Hi Both,
Unfortunately have been there and done everything suggested. I'm using a BT Voyager 105 modem...even bought a new filter....no change. Modem plugged into the back of the hard drive (USB) Tried different slots...no change. When the green arrows go to yellow I check status and BT says it's TRAINING whatever that means.

MOBO?

Cheers,

Moll

SB23 16:32 16 Apr 2006

Have you rung Aol, and spoken to one of their technical people, to see if they can offer any help.

Nancy166 17:02 16 Apr 2006

Hi,
I've been to Live Help ALOT but when things start to get complicated they send me an e-mail!
Tech people I haven't rung mainly due to horror stories of trying to get someone in India to understand the technicalities.I think it would just about finish me off.!!!!!!! They are my absolutely final resort.

Info which might be of use to those who have taken up the challenge:

Internet Properties:
Dial-up and Virtual Settings.
AOL Default
AOL Diagnostics Test
My ISP

Never Dial A Connection ticked.
AOL System Information:
Connective Summary:
Broadband High Speed Cable DSL
AOL Broadband
Conextant Soft56 Modem on Com 3

Broadband Hgh Speed Cable DSL highlighted.
Conextant Soft 56 Modem disabled.
Network Connection:
Broadband Disconnected ....Firewalled
WAN Miniport (PPOE)
Dial Up
AOL Diagnostic Test Disconnected
PPOEWIN Miniport

Lan or High Speed Connection
1394 Connection 2 Enabled 1394 Adapter
Local Area 2 Enabled
GlobeSpanUSB ADSL Lan Mod.
Local Area Connection Disabled
RealtekRTL8139 Family PCIF (this is the pop up)
1394 Connection Enabled
1394 Net Adapter
Virual Private Network Disconnected
WAN Miniport (L2TP)

I'm hoping that by giving all this detail someone will spot a clash of some kind.

Cheers

Moll

CurlyWhirly 17:43 16 Apr 2006

I'm with AOL as well.

Are you using the original modem drivers that came on the CD?
If so this could be the problem.
Have you been to AOL keyword 'drivers' as these modem drivers are more up to date than the original ones.

I have now upgraded to an ethernet router and would never go back to a USB modem but if you haven't already tried the above you should as I suffered similar problems to you until I updated.

Nancy166 18:05 16 Apr 2006

Hi,
Do you mean on the AOL 9 CD? I've downloaded from AOL and used the CD....lost track how many times......no change. The last one was from AOL and then when the first of the messages reinstall came....I used the CD.

I have toyed with the idea of changing to Ethernet and avoiding the USB altogether. Could you let me have more details?

Thanks
Moll

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

6 great UX design talks you can watch online

How to jailbreak an iPhone or iPad in iOS 11 or iOS 10

Musique de Noël : les meilleures chansons en streaming