Broadband keeps turning off overnight

MichaelF 18:59 23 Jul 2005

Every evening for the last few days my broadband connection drops out at night.
The next morning the PC is still running but the ASDL light is flashing and when I try to connect it states there is no dialing tone.
I have switched broadband modems, tried different PCs, different filters. It still kepps falling over.
At some stage during the day it comes back again without me doing anything.
The only things running at night were updates and virus checkers. I have switched them to during the day. It makes no difference.
My ISP says it not them ( Tiscali ).
BT says it's not them.
Any ideas?
I am running XP.

Dorsai 19:06 23 Jul 2005

Have you tried turing the PC off overnight?

I mean, turn it off before the problem starts, but turn back on again before it normally resolves it's self.

IE, if the connection always goes at 11PM, turn off at 10:30. If the problem is normally gone by 10AM, turn back on at 9AM.

This might help you work out if the problem is with your PC, or tiscali.

I think....

MichaelF 19:56 23 Jul 2005

That's something I haven't tried. Thanks

Dorsai 20:32 23 Jul 2005

I have bookmarked this...

Will re-visit some time sunday...

Luck...

MichaelF 15:43 24 Jul 2005

Switched everything off last night about 11.
When I switched on this morning the light was flashing again and Broadband would not load.
However within about 30 minutes the light stayed on and i could connect to Broadband.
I will try again tonight and see what happens.

MichaelF 15:43 24 Jul 2005

Switched everything off last night about 11.
When I switched on this morning the light was flashing again and Broadband would not load.
However within about 30 minutes the light stayed on and i could connect to Broadband.
I will try again tonight and see what happens.

Stuartli 19:04 24 Jul 2005

Just unplug the USB cable from either the modem or USB port or hub, wait a few seconds, plug the cable back in and allow the modem about 30 seconds to reintialise.

I have Tiscali BB and once or twice a week it drops the connection for no apparent reason - the above method quickly has it back on track.

accord 21:24 24 Jul 2005

i have the same problem with my d-link router. I was using my pc this morning and connected to the net with no problem. This afternoon i went to use it and the router wasnt working. I pulled out the mains lead and waited for the router to reconnect and finds it ip addresses, the all ok.

(BTW: this has onyl started to happen since i loaded skype so it may hae something to do with that)

accord 21:25 24 Jul 2005

oops

should have been " pulled out the mains lead and reconnected"

(I should check my replies before posting)

Stuartli 22:47 24 Jul 2005

Just one small point. In the Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Settings tab>Advanced button, have you Disabled both Disconnect If Idle for X minutes and Disconnect if Connection No Longer Needed?

MichaelF 10:57 25 Jul 2005

Thanks for the various ideas and suggestions.
I let Broadband on last night but during the course of the night it fell over. However the line had reset itself some time afterwards and the ADSL light was on. It reconnected immediatly.
I have checked the settings tab and it is shows that the settings are disabled.
Watch this space for the next installment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)