Broadband issues

lee_robinson1983 08:11 04 Apr 2006

I currently don't use broadband but with there soon to be 2 computers in seperate rooms in the house, things will change.

I was wondering how I can have both computers on broadband without compromising the connection speed? Is there anything I could get hold of?

Thanks, Lee

Diodorus Siculus 08:24 04 Apr 2006

Most wireless routers will do it for you without any realistic compromise in speed.

You can also have a wired connection if you want to run a cable between the two.

dms05 09:18 04 Apr 2006

You can't connect the 2 PC's to the Internet through their own Broadband Modems connected to the same phone line. It won't work, well not if you want the 2 PC to have access at the same time.

Diodorus Siculus advice is exactly correct. WiFi connection is physically easier as you don't need to run cable between the 2 rooms. You would need the wireless router on the incoming telephone line and if the first PC is near then LAN cable connect to this. You'd need a WiFi adaptor on the second PC to receive the signal from the WiFi Router. You could have both PC's WiFi'd and no LAN cable to either, just a freestanding WiFi Router (after the initail setting up).

WiFi Routers can be daunting to the uninitiated but usually come with a good set up procedure. Be prepared for a whole lot of technology you've never seen before.

Having said that when I've installed WiFi Routers they have worked first time.

lee_robinson1983 09:52 04 Apr 2006

Thanks for the advice. Where can I get a good wireless routers from and how much?

Diodorus Siculus 10:12 04 Apr 2006

click here

This is the one I use and it works well.

shauny36 10:17 04 Apr 2006

try pc world they are about £60-£80.
i used a wirless router connected to 3 computers and you cant really notice lag in speed unless you are doing a lot of downloading.
you will also need 2 wireless g network adaptors (usb or network card)
if you go to pc world go to the help desk and they will keep you right.

i couldnt be without wireless.

MIKE. 10:20 04 Apr 2006

I currently use BT for my 2Meg broadband and I was looking into upgrading to 8 Meg on the 11th April. I contacted BT to be told if I upgrade to a faster speed I would have to take out a new 12 month contract,has anyone else had this problem or am I being led up the garden path.

vinnyT 11:12 04 Apr 2006

MIKE. No, you are not being led up the garden path.

The Spires 11:29 04 Apr 2006

I was upgraded today to Zen 8000 Active, I am still on a 1 month contract with them, migration to Zen is free.

lee_robinson1983 13:00 04 Apr 2006

lee_robinson1983 13:06 04 Apr 2006

my computer has 2 x 10/100/1000 gigabit LAN ports (1 port on A8N-SLI SE) as its network facilities, will I still need a wireless adaptor or could I get away with just getting a router? The router will be with the other computer?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, not very good with broadband tecnicalities :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?