Broadband Faxing

dogbreath1 17:06 17 Jun 2006

The problems of sending faxes from a PC via a broadband connection have been discussed on here before. The various web based services have also been referred to.

My query...I have an XP PC connected to a Hewlett Packard hp psc 2210 all-in-one printer with fax facility.

Are any of you guys aware of a method of generating a PC based fax document and using an all-in-one machine to effect the fax transmission? Idle curiosity really, but it would be a useful feature if possible.

Jackcoms 17:12 17 Jun 2006

If you have a dial-up modem and are using XP, the simplest way is to install Fax Services from the Windows CD, if it's not already installed

dogbreath1 10:06 18 Jun 2006

My all in one printer sends faxes presumably using a dial up modem via my adsl connection.

So, is there any reason why a PC running XP and connecting to broadband via a router, cannot concurrently have installed and use a dial up modem for sending faxes??

Forum Editor 11:05 18 Jun 2006

but be careful.

If you inadvertantly downloaded a dialer you could find that your dial-up modem was secretly connecting you to a premium rate number. For that reason it's a good idea to disconnect the phone line from the modem after each fax transmission.

dogbreath1 11:20 18 Jun 2006

Thanks for that, FE. My current PC was built without a dialup modem coz I thought that I wouldn't need one. Although I'm not going to install one, my next PC will include one.

At least I had the sense to include a floppy drive....it's so easy to think that you don't need one, but for the cost, it would be silly to exclude it.

Cheers. db.

dogbreath1 11:21 18 Jun 2006

Oh, and point taken about dialers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?