Broadband Connection from domestic netowrk

RickB 17:53 03 Apr 2003

I am currently running two PC's that are networked together with a common printer running from one of them.
BT are (finally) enabling our exchange to allow Broadband access so I am trying to figure out what I need to buy in additional hardware.

What I would like is a single unit that will act as a ADSL modem, a 4 port router (so that either computer can access either Broadband or each other) plus a port for my USB printer (HP laserjet 1220) so that either machine can print even if the other machine is off.

I can find lots of boxes that act as the ADSL Modem and 4 port switch(eg D-Link DSL-604), but the additional requirement of the printer input seems difficult.

Anyone got any ideas or do I have to buy a separate print server??

Rick

Are there any

fitshase 18:28 03 Apr 2003

I think that you would need to buy a separate print server.

There are a few routers out there that act as print servers and switches but do not incorporate an ADSL modem.

If you do not want a large box on your desk for the print server, try going to Dabs.com (click here) and type in the search box "PS101" (without the "").

It is a small print server from Netgear that plugs into the back of your printer. However, it is for a parallel port so if your printer is only USB and does not have a parallel port then it will not work.

Hope this helps

regards

Fitshase

billyliv 20:34 03 Apr 2003

Hi, I have NTL broadband. Set up as follows:- Cable modem connected using a straight through Cat 5 cable to the WAN port on a 'D-link' DI-604 router. Connected to the router on port 1 is a downstairs computer running Win XP home, Printer connected to this computer is an HP photosmart.
Connected to ports 2 and 3 on the router are two computers upstairs running Win ME, connected to one of the upstairs computer is an Epson C42. All connection cables are straight through Cat 5. I can share files and the C42 printer between the ME computers but not on the XP computer. If I choose I can have three different web sites running at the same time but I keep it to two. Cheers, Bill

billyliv 20:38 03 Apr 2003

Hi, Reading your post again I think you would need a printer with an 'Ethernet card' installed.Cheers, Bill.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?