Broadband Capping

Pine Man 14:04 22 Dec 2005

I have just upgraded from Tesco unlimited 512kb BB to 1mb BB capped at 3gb.

Having asked tesco what happens if I exceed my limit the answer I get is that they are looking into it but I might have difficulty making a connection?

Does anybody have any experience of exceeding a capping and can they advise me what happened?

Its too early to tell with Tesco as they have only just started capping usage but their service is provided by NTL so it might be interesting to hear from NTL users.

I have a broadband usage monitor running and it appears unlikely that I will exceed my capping unless i'm very busy.

Happy Christmas everybody and keep up the good work!

Stuartli 15:05 22 Dec 2005

Unless you are doing very large audio or visual downloads, you are unlikely to exceed the cap.

I used to have a 2GB cap and yet, even though I'm online for up to 15 hours a day for long stretches and that includes various downloads, I never exceeded the maximum.

GaT7 16:00 22 Dec 2005

I've been on NTL (1Mbps/3Gb) for the last 5-6 months, & exceeded the limit on 2-3 occasions by a few hundred Mb. No slap on the wrist so far as they're yet to introduce their data usage tools (if it still applies) click here & scroll to the bottom, & I exceeded the limit by a small amount only.

Haven't had the uncapped email that keef66 mentions - it'll be great if I get it too. G

Minkey1 23:56 22 Dec 2005

Daveboy

I'm on same product as you. Although I'm sure I'll be nowhere near 40gig/month, Id be interested to measure it. What meter are you using ? My BT 2100 router does show some figures but not clearly and they get reset anyway.

Stuartli 13:06 23 Dec 2005

I use the Tautology Bandwidth Meter (freeware):

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE 5G review: How fast is 5G in the UK?

The Best 404 Page Designs: from delightful illustrations to time-wasting games

Powerbeats Pro review

Que faire si le son de votre Mac ne fonctionne plus ?