Broadband cable

[DELETED] 14:16 13 Nov 2003

I want to install an ADSL USB modem, but my computer is about 28 ft away from the BT phone socket and I am clueless about what lead to buy and how to fit it when I get it. Can anyone help please?

Regards dweeb

[DELETED] 14:58 13 Nov 2003

The simplest way would be to purchase an extension for your phone, and plug your filter and USB modem into that

[DELETED] 15:11 13 Nov 2003

you can buy a long modem lead. RJ11 connectors both ends, this will plug into your modem and straight into the ASDL socket of the filter. j.

[DELETED] 15:28 13 Nov 2003

thanks for the help both of you,, now I think I'll need the long modem cable - it sounds to me like the right solution,, but where can I get one? Any suggestions to get a match with a USRobotics modem? I can't find any such extras on their website...

Regards again,, dweeb

[DELETED] 15:42 13 Nov 2003

I asked bt about this prob last week and they recommended moving the phone socket nearer to the modem as a modem cable longer than 15feet could affect the signal!!!!!!******???????

[DELETED] 15:43 13 Nov 2003

Maplins have them in stock up to 4 or 5 metres in length, and I believe they will make longer ones for you. Large D.I.Y Stores, such as B & Q also sell the parts you need.

You can buy a length of phone cable and two connectors, just make sure you wire them the same way as the standard modem cable. IE: "crossover". j.

[DELETED] 15:49 13 Nov 2003

Can't see any reason for a cable over fifteen foot long causing a problem. Though I have seen recommendations to keep the length under forty-five foot, [But no explanation as to why]. My Broadband modem lead is 5 metres long and works fine. j.

[DELETED] 16:05 13 Nov 2003

I knew they were talking twaddle.At the moment it's lying across the floor - I'll trip over it before long. Best place to come for a reliable answer
Thanks

[DELETED] 18:35 13 Nov 2003

Found a phone extension in my box of 'things that might come in handy sometime'. Plugged on end into the phone socket and the filter - modem - telephone in the other. Jobs a goodn thanks

[DELETED] 11:28 14 Nov 2003

thanks you lot,, I have found the answers, but you all carry on chatting ref. cables etc. ;-)))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac music-production software

Comment savoir si votre message a été lu sur Facebook & WhatsApp ?