Broadband for both pc and laptop. Help!!

  lisalab1 20:29 21 Sep 2007

I have the speedtouch ADSL Modem with Orange. Im currently have to switch the usb modem between my laptop and my computer (which has no modem built in).

Is there anyway of having the broadband on both of them? If so, how?

  johnnyrocker 20:32 21 Sep 2007

a router, one input and as many outputs as required, further help available click here=


  brundle 20:39 21 Sep 2007

You need an ADSL modem/router. The computers both need a network connector (like this click here) - if your desktop doesn't have one PCI network cards are £5 and easy to fit,your laptop almost certainly will have one. I like Netgear and Belkin kit myself, rarely had problems with them.
You have the choice of wired or wireless router - a wireless router is more convenient (they have cable outputs too) but slightly more expensive, and you would need a wireless card or built in Wifi for one or both machines. The extra cost is easily outweighed by the convenience, even if you don't need the wireless access at the time.

Just as a pointer, here are two suitable Netgear routers;

Wired ADSL router; click here
Wireless ADSL router; click here

  brundle 20:41 21 Sep 2007

A couple of network cables would be a good idea too, you'll only get one with the router. You want patch cables, not crossover cables. click here

  lisalab1 21:06 21 Sep 2007

Thanks Johnny and thanks brundle

I would have to go for the wired ADSL router as I don't have either a wireless card or built in Wifi built in.

Is there a wired ADSL in the belkin make?

  brundle 21:17 21 Sep 2007

They all seem to be wireless, but at £37 you wouldn't save anything even if there were a wired version available. As I said, they still support cable connection the same as a wired router. You can disable the wireless capability.

click here

  Strawballs 22:12 21 Sep 2007

I would recomend the modem/routers as advised and not to go with the Orange livebox as a friend of mine has that and it is difficult to set up and only supports WEP and not the more secure WPA encryption

  mgmcc 08:10 22 Sep 2007

To create a wired network for Internet access and File/Printer sharing, you have essentially two options:

1) Install a Network Adapter in each PC (if not already installed) and connect them directly with a crossover CAT5 ethernet cable. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the network adapter used for your "Home Network Connection" with the IP address and subnet mask If you have more than one adapter available for this purpose, e.g. both a "Local Area Connection" and a "Wireless Network Connection", you will have a drop down list from which to select the appropriate adapter. The "Client" PC's Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your "Host" PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or "ICS" traffic will be blocked.

2) The preferred option for connecting more than one computer is to use a broadband Router and, with ADSL, this should be a combined “Router/ADSL Modem”. All networked computers connect directly to the router with ‘straight-wired’ CAT5 ethernet cables.

With a router, it is the router which connects directly to the ISP and not one of the connected PCs. The router in turn allocates the IP addresses to the PCs, using one of the address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, usually

Either of these options will additionally allow you to run File and/or Printer Sharing across the network.

If you are running software firewalls, these need to be configured to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" section.

  lisalab1 13:09 23 Sep 2007


I have noticed that I have only a USB Speedtouch 330 which I cannot have a wired router as there is no socket for a R145 cable. I have to change my broadband package with Orange or go with BT or something which they have a adsl router built in. Not sure if they have WPA or wPA2 though.

  mgmcc 14:05 23 Sep 2007

<<<< I have noticed that I have only a USB Speedtouch 330 which I cannot have a wired router as there is no socket for a R145 cable. >>>>

You *DON'T* have to change your package or change ISP - you buy a combined "Router & ADSL Modem" which replaces the USB Modem.

  Strawballs 22:18 23 Sep 2007

ny one of these click here will do you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro review

How Pentagram and other design agencies aim to double the number of creative female leaders

How to speed up a slow Mac

Comment résoudre des problèmes d’impressions ?