Broadband access disconnects phone

Paneuro 20:58 12 Aug 2005

I'm running Windows XP Home and have an email account with Tiscali. I have to disconnect the telephone to access broadband or if the telephone rings whilst connected to broadband and I answer the phone, the broadband connection drops. I have checked the microfilters and the computer is connected to the master phone socket

Can anybody help please?

Thanks

stalion 21:00 12 Aug 2005

where are your filters placed?

Paneuro 21:14 12 Aug 2005

I have four phone points in total, all have an ADSL filter fitted. The PC connects on its own to the master socket, sky tv to a single socket, a cordless phone to a single socket and a corded phone to a single socket. I have disconnected all phones in rotation and microfilters without success.

stalion 21:26 12 Aug 2005

scroll down for a wiring diagram click here

Stuartli 21:44 12 Aug 2005

You say your PC's RJ11/45 cable is connected direct to the Master Socket.

Try fitting a splitter in the Master Socket first and then connecting the phone and ADSL cables to the splitter's outputs.

It's the method I use, the two other extension phones also having a splitter fitted first before inserting the phone leads.

Paneuro 22:04 12 Aug 2005

stalion
Thanks for wiring diagram, I'll have a look at it

Stuartli
The PC is connected to a splitter and then into the master socket but there is no telephone connected to that splitter. The other three telephone sockets all have splitters, two have telephones (one corded & one cordeless)connected & the other is to a SKY box.

My ADSL modem is a USB Sagem 800 E3

Stuartli 22:18 12 Aug 2005

It seems to be the same modem I use.

If you contact BT (I think it's via 151 in this case) and request a chat with one of their engineers, I'm sure you will get plenty of sound advice as they have been dealing with dialup/broadband issues for many years.

Jackcoms 22:32 12 Aug 2005

Have you tried un-installing and re-installing the modem software?

Paneuro 22:46 12 Aug 2005

I have now tried disconnecing all phones and Sky from the system. The PC is connected, through a micro filter to the master socket. I then plugged in a corded phone into that filter but alas the braodband diconnected again. Any ideas please?

stalion 22:51 12 Aug 2005

have you got your modem connected to the computer or are you going through a hub?

Paneuro 22:52 12 Aug 2005

stalion

Modem is connected directly to a USB connection on PC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?