broadband

SCUNNER 18:55 15 Dec 2004

I HAD BROADBAND INSTALLED ON MY SONS COMPUTER AND EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE WORKING OK.
I HAVE A LAPTOP AND WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO HAVE BROADBAND AS WELL,THE TROUBLE IS WHEN I TRY TO INSTALL THE SOFTWARE THERE IS AN ERROR COMES UP SAYING THAT IT CANNOT RENEW THE DHCP ADDRESS AND SO I HAVE TO DO WITHOUT,
IHOPE THERE IS SOMEONE OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP ME.

DESPERATE SCUNNER

VoG II 19:01 15 Dec 2004

Assuming Windows XP.

Start , Run, type

cmd

and click OK. at the > prompt type

ipconfig /release

and press Return.

type

ipconfig /renew

and press Return.

Type exit.

Noelg23 19:02 15 Dec 2004

be more specific please..who is the provider and what Windows have you got on your laptop and your sons PC? also what modem is he using?

SCUNNER 21:14 16 Dec 2004

i have telewest broadband installed on my sons computer and everything works ok.
i also have a laptop with windows xp pro and would like to install it on my computer.
i have tried to install the software,but it comes up with configuration error cannot renew dhcp.
it was suggested that i go to command prompt and type ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew,i have tried this and it says that it cannot renew the dhcp and to contact the dhcp server.
i wonder if there is anyone that can help as i am really desperate.

scunner

SCUNNER 21:14 16 Dec 2004

i have telewest broadband installed on my sons computer and everything works ok.
i also have a laptop with windows xp pro and would like to install it on my computer.
i have tried to install the software,but it comes up with configuration error cannot renew dhcp.
it was suggested that i go to command prompt and type ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew,i have tried this and it says that it cannot renew the dhcp and to contact the dhcp server.
i wonder if there is anyone that can help as i am really desperate.

scunner

VoG II 21:22 16 Dec 2004

TRy running the support tool click here

TomJerry 21:44 16 Dec 2004

cable broadband is locked to a particular MAC address (any network device has a mac address). I believe that cable BB provide allow you register a few mac address, so yu need to contact wih provider to register your laptop.

a better way is to use a router (wired costs about £20, wireless costs around £40) both PCs can connect to net via router a the same time. with this set up, you only need to register router's mac address with BB provider. In fact, you do not need o contact provider to change mac adress with some router with mac address cloning function.

VoG II 21:51 16 Dec 2004

blueyonder don't require registration of MAC addresses anymore (allegedly).

However, you may have a point TomJerry.

Try phoning blueyonder technical suport to register your laptop's MAC address. To find it click here

Jeffers22 00:13 17 Dec 2004

Another way might be to spoof the MAC address in the laptop.

Get MAC Address of Desktop. Start > Run > type cmd and hit return. At prompt type ipconfig/all
Scroll back up towards the top of the page and under Physical Address is a 12 digit number - 6 X 2 digits separated by hyphens. Write it down.

On Laptop:
Start > Control Panel >Network Connections
Right Click Local Area network > select properties
Click Configure button, then open Advanced Tab and
click in select radio button. Type type 12 digit address (without hyphens) in here and OK/apply your way out.

Voila, spoofed MAC address.

vinnyo123 02:57 17 Dec 2004

If spoofed I believe both PC's cannot be online at the same time, (packets Frames) will not know where to go,decisions on layer 2 data link layer.

I would suggest as above to use a Router with switched ports buitl in.

I believe You never actually said how you where trying to connect second PC example :switch;hub;ICS, and what software are you trying to use.

I would suggest going Router way for other reasons ; as it adds a nice hardware layer of security added to your LAN.Also you don't have to worry about MAC addresses with ISP as stated above with cloning.

PS jeffers22 nice little tip never actually noticed that setting.

SCUNNER 19:08 17 Dec 2004

tried everything that you said and still nothing.
however it says that tha#e network is not enebled
please help.
scunner

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?