Brand new Acer laptop for my aunt, but it is slow!

julius44 18:30 25 Jan 2017

Hello and good evening to you all. I was at my aunts place last week, she got a laptop for xmas. Here are the Spec: Acer Aspire ES 15. AMD DUAL CORE PROCESSOR(1.5GHz) 4GB DDR 3 L MEMORY. 1000gb hard drive.
There is next to nothing on the laptop, and I have used iobit uninstaller to remove some bloatware but it is still slow. When I go to the task manager it shows the cpu as between 95-98, I also have advanced system care installed and that shows the CPU at 100. From time to time it freezes on screens and the mouth freezes at times for btw 2-5 seconds. She has not had the laptop for 2 months yet, I have scanned with kaspersky no probles encountered. My aunt will be using the laptop for browsing and maybe some online banking as I have installed kaspersky total security for her. The laptop is with me now, I intend to take it back to her on saturday evening.

Any suggestions please?? Jules

Govan1x 21:18 25 Jan 2017

I presume the laptop has W10. I have an acer ES-!5 quad core and basically all it is good for is a doorstop.

It uses half the memory when it is just idling CPU and disk usually running up to 100% quite a lot of the time. Battery is inside the laptop so would be hard to get to.

It just does not want to know what security programs I want to use on it. So basically you are stuck with Windows Defender.

Apart from running C Cleaner or giving it a defrag there is not much more you can do with it.

Maybe get rid of Windows and put Ubuntu or something like that on it.

Govan1x 21:22 25 Jan 2017

maybe try Classic Shell on it. Whether it would make it better I don't know, But would probably make it look better.

julius44 21:42 25 Jan 2017

@Govan1x, yes it has windows 10. thanks for your response, and like you mentioned you have same laptop too lol. It is really dissapointing HOW slow this is.

Govan1x 22:26 25 Jan 2017

A mistake in my part buying it. i was just looking for something to take on holiday with me it did not need to be anything special. And mine is definitely that.

Mine is slightly different Quad core but only (1.1GHz so thought that it should give about 2.4Ghz. But it struggles.

Sorry I cant give you any other advice but I am sure someone will be along to help.

I might end up putting it back to factory settings again to see if that helps. But not at the moment.

rdave13 23:32 25 Jan 2017

Check for TiWorker.exe in task manager. If that's the culprit leave the laptop on idle for an hour or so. More info here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)