BORING 'BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH' AGAIN

cderekf 16:07 01 Sep 2004

Alright I know it's boring but I'm getting a regular message when I log-off which reads 'FATAL ERROR EXCEPTION AT 0028 C182B1A9

Anyone with the time to help a novice ?

Derekf

Diodorus Siculus 16:14 01 Sep 2004

What operating system do you use?

What program causes the error?
Try to repair IE: click here
RepairIE

click here for some OE fatal errors.

cderekf 09:18 04 Sep 2004

Using the Microsoft tool above I am getting the message:
I.E.CANNOT BE REPAIRED DUE TO THE FOLLOWING ERRORS;

Version 3.1.0.2230 of SCRRUN.DLL exists but version needs to be greater than 5.1.0.5010

Any suggestions ?

Derekf

Diodorus Siculus 09:50 04 Sep 2004

Do you have a CD with IE on it? If so, try an install of a new version (or newer version to that one you currently have).

Or
click here

and download a new version and install it where the curent one is. Change the name to the old one to SCRRUN.old

cderekf 14:54 10 Sep 2004

Thanks for the advice. I was able to find a newer dll file and to run the IE Repair Tool. However I am still getting the Fatal Exception message so there might be another problem. I notice that IE and Outlook Express are also unstable as I find I am often having to click several times before the programme reacts.

I have also tried installing IE over my existing one in case there was a missing file or something although I imagine the Repair Tool would have picked that up. Is there a simple way of deleting my current IE prog and doing a re-install without losing my Favourites and Address files. Will this also effect Outlook Express? (I am operating on Windows 98 by the way)

Sorry to be such a pain!!

derekf

cderekf 14:55 10 Sep 2004

Thanks for the advice. I was able to find a newer dll file and to run the IE Repair Tool. However I am still getting the Fatal Exception message so there might be another problem. I notice that IE and Outlook Express are also unstable as I find I am often having to click several times before the programme reacts.

I have also tried installing IE over my existing one in case there was a missing file or something although I imagine the Repair Tool would have picked that up. Is there a simple way of deleting my current IE prog and doing a re-install without losing my Favourites and Address files. Will this also effect Outlook Express? (I am operating on Windows 98 by the way)

Sorry to be such a pain!!

derekf

Diodorus Siculus 16:10 10 Sep 2004

One more thought...

go to start, run and type in

sfc

then click start.

You will need the Win98 CD. This is the system file checker and it checks all files in the system are ok.

Going to add/remover programs should give you the otpion to remove IE6 if that is what you have. When it begins the process you will have an option to repair or remove. As repair has not worked, try remove.

You should not lose any data but backup your favourites, bookmarks etc before proceeding.

As an alternative, why not try Mozilla FireFox click here and Thunderbird as browser and mail client?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)