BOOTMGR is missing, Press Ctr +Alt +Del to restart

Peter~24 18:55 10 Aug 2017
Answered

HP EliteBook 8570w laptop running Windows 7 Pro. I updated some drivers and rebooted. Message that Windows couldn't start possibly because of a driver problem. Used last known working configuration and Windows started.

Rebooted and Windows wouldn't start again. This time no option to use last known working configuration.

Before I performed the drivers update I had taken an image of the hard drive using Acronis True Image Home 2012 so I restored the image to the hard drive thinking this would put everything back to how it was before the drivers update. Unfortunately this was not the case, all I got was the "BOOTMGR is missing, Press Ctr +Alt +Del to restart" message.

I've tried to do a Factory Reset using the Recovery Partition, but the F11 option that should do this is not available on that boot menu. I've tried to use a Windows 7 disk from an Acer laptop to repair the Boot Manager problem, but that doesn't work. I think that is because the disk if for 32 bit and my laptop is (was) running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. My PC wasn't supplied with a Windows disk.

Before I purchase another Windows 7 Pro 64 bit disk does anyone have any suggestions.

Any help gratefully received please.

Peter.

BRYNIT 20:14 10 Aug 2017

If you have the Windows product key on the laptop you may be able to download Windows 7 64bit from the Microsoft web site CLICK HERE if not you could try CLICK HERE If you do not have any DVD's to burn the ISO to you could use the Windows 7 USB/DVD and install onto a USB drive instructions and download link CLICK HERE if you do a google search for Boot manager is missing you will find helpful information on how to rectify this problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:18 10 Aug 2017
  1. Start your PC

2. If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3. If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Windows operating system and Press the F8 key

4. An Advanced Tools menu options screen will now appear

5. Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6. Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7. Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8. The recovery options should now appear

select startup repair from the recovery options.

Peter~24 21:46 10 Aug 2017

BRYNIT,

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my question.

I tried to download the Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit ISO from the Microsoft website in your first link, but although I have a Windows product key it is a bulk one and Microsoft will only let you use one from a purchased Windows disk.

I have seen the Softlay site, but I am a bit dubious about getting more than I bargained for from a FREE download. Do you know if Softlay is to be trusted?

I have tried googling "BOOTMGR is missing, Press Ctr +Alt +Del to restart", but I either needed a Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit disk or access to the Command prompt at boot up, neither of which I have.

I have access to a DVD/CD writer on an old Vista machine so if Softlay is safe I could use that. As I already asked Do you think Softlay is safe please?

Peter.

Peter~24 22:09 10 Aug 2017

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my question.

I think I am past the options you have suggested as I have already tried using the Last known good configuration option, which appeared to work at first, but after a reboot would not boot correctly and then F8 would not work either. At that point I reloaded my Acronis image file and received the BOOTMGR message when the image restore had finished and the PC was rebooted.

Peter.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:22 10 Aug 2017

Can you get acess to command prompt using the Acer disk? doesn't matter if its 32bit

you just ned to run Bootrec /RebuildBcd, and then press ENTER.

BRYNIT 22:24 10 Aug 2017

Peter, to test Softlay site I have just now downloaded Windows 7 64bit iso from the and checked it against a copy I already had with no problems you will get a window opening with regards to facebook which you can just close.

bluesbrother 22:26 10 Aug 2017

"Boot-Repair-Disk, the 'must-have' rescue CD" And they are right, a very useful piece of software.

I highly recommend it

boot-repair-disk

Peter~24 20:58 11 Aug 2017
Answer

Thanks to everyone who has taken an interest in my question.

BRYNIT - I am downloading the Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit ISO file from Softlay.

bluesbrother - Once the Windows 7 download has finished I intend to download the Boot-Repair-Disk that you mentioned.

In the meantime I wanted to be able to get my restore partition to operate so I set it to be the active partition using Acronis Disk Director. When I rebooted the PC after changing the active partition, hey presto, it booted in Windows 7 Pro, problem solved. I don't know why this should happen, but my PC is back working again.

Once again thanks to all who have contributed.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2019

macOS Catalina: Latest Version, Updates, Problems, Fixes & Features

Les meilleurs téléphones Android (à moins de 600 €)