Boot.ini file and ATI

johndrew 14:42 16 Dec 2008

I have done a search for this information with no success and hope that someone here knows the answer.

I use Acronis TI to backup my system and wondered if there is any way of using it to repair the boot.ini file alone. I have search the ATI archive but have not seen the file anywhere - I expected it to be in the C:root if it was visible.

The reason I ask is that I have found that turning off the USB scanner sometimes corrupts/deletes the file necessitating a repair via the XP Repair Console - a longer task than would be a simple use of the ATI archive.

Thanks in anticipation.

BBW 14:58 16 Dec 2008

Why do you think your boot.ini file is faulty?
If you really need to repair it; 1st make a back up of it, then edit it using 'Notepad' or any text editor.

johndrew 16:25 16 Dec 2008

`Why do you think your boot.ini file is faulty?`

On boot between the BIOS and Windows screen it tells me the boot.ini is invalid and it is booting from C:Windows. This is not a particularly unusual fault and it has the corrective action I`ve outlined - but is long winded.

I should also point out that when the boot.ini file becomes corrupt, it is possible to access the backup (used by the C:Windows boot) but not (to my knowledge) easy to replace it by say a copy/paste process.

johndrew 20:06 16 Dec 2008

Having thought about this problem, there seem to be two answers:

1. Simply make a discrete backup of the boot.ini file using the `Files and Folders` option in ATI.

2. Copy the backup boot.ini file from C:\WINDOWS\pss to the root and re-name the file.

Suppose I should have thought it through in the first place!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?