Booting from external source

compumac 13:36 23 Jul 2008

I have a laptop that unforunately the CD Rom does not now recognise CD's although it will recognise DVD's. I have an external DVD that functions with it. The question I would ask is, if I decide that I want to clean the laptop hard disc completely by formatting, how can I be sure that the external DVD will be recognised at bootup.
If I access the Bios, - USB emulation is checked, does that mean I could therefore boot up from the external drive? If not what steps are needed to be made in order that my Recovery CD can be accessed?

Ditch999 14:51 23 Jul 2008

Set your laptop to boot from the external DVD drive in the BIOS and put your OS disc in it. If it boots to the install screen then you know it will work if you format and reinstall.

compumac 15:07 23 Jul 2008

The BIOS only shows
Hard Disc 'C'
CD Rom Drive
Diskette 'A'
LAN

It does not have an 'A' drive either

Pamy 17:03 23 Jul 2008

What do you think Diskette A is ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:14 23 Jul 2008

Diskette 'A' is your floppy drive.

If a floppy drive was not built in then this may mean a USB floppy drive.

Make and model of laptop?

You could use nlite click here to make a "copy" of you XP CD and slipstream all your updates etc. and burn it to a DVD instead of CD.
The DVD should then be bootable.

compumac 17:50 23 Jul 2008

I realised that Diskette A meant floppy drive but I took this to refer to the 3.1/2" floppy which is does not have. - USB floppy?

Packard Bell igo5581 about six years old.

Batch 18:18 23 Jul 2008

It's quite normal to show a floppy drive when you don't have one. If I look in Device Manager it shows a floppy controller and floppy drive.

There is a floppy controller on my mobo, but no drive is actually attached. I guess your BIOS is showing the same effect.

woodchip 18:26 23 Jul 2008

But what as Floppy got to do with CD drive? As above try booting with a CD in the drive and watch the drive light to see if it tries to read the drive. then check in Windows Explorer Windows Key plus E key if it shows click on the + to see if it opens

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:28 23 Jul 2008

UB floppy click here

woodchip 18:37 23 Jul 2008

You could also buy a External USB CD DVD drive click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:45 23 Jul 2008

he already has one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?