Boot up Screen Blank Pc wont complete boot up

mulva42 23:18 02 Jun 2004

I have done a silly thing to the Kernel on my pc which runs XP pro. A while ago i loaded a fancy boot screen(swissboy).I wanted to load a service pack and the system says it couldn't because of a core kernal not being original, So i tracked it down to being the boot scrn i loaded so i tried to undo but when it came to reooting i lost the boot screen and it doesn't go any further so a BIG OOOPPS.. is in order.If i get it going again i will be sticking to the normal programs that come with software. Anyone know how i can get around this as i have lost alot of info as you can imagine. Thanks..4 Any help

mulva42 23:19 02 Jun 2004

bump

VoG II 23:25 02 Jun 2004

Will it start in Safe Mode? Or Last known good configuration.

A bump within a minute is rediculous - be patient.

mulva42 23:30 02 Jun 2004

I cant get into safe mode tried the last known in config menu but XXX. Sorry about the bump..

Were exactly would i get into safe mode? from the mother-board boot sector. I would knoe hoe to do it on an ibm pc but the pc i built myself and it's a biostar MB.

VoG II 23:33 02 Jun 2004

Restart. Keep tapping the F8 key just before the Windows screen loads. Select from the menu.

pipedream 23:33 02 Jun 2004

Not sure about this problem but you could probably get at your data by installing you hard drive as a slave in another PC.

PSF 23:40 02 Jun 2004

If last known configuration does not work the best option is to do a system repair.

Change the bios to boot from cd insert your XP cd
follow the instructions to install xp. You will then get the option to do a system repair, this will remove all the system files and re-install XP. You will not loose any programs, only the MS updates will need to be re-installed.

PSF 23:42 02 Jun 2004

click here more info on the repair option.

mulva42 23:44 02 Jun 2004

A big hand to you VoG thats me did it restored last good config. Didn't realise that most pc's were the same for safe-mode(Now i know). Thanks to all that supported me on this tired hour,I am proud to be a member of PC Advisor it seems to never let me down when there is a problems. Time 4 Bed.. Cheers

THE TERMINATOR 23:56 02 Jun 2004

If you're smart enough to build a pc, then how come you're not smart enough to know how to start in safe mode?

mulva42 00:00 03 Jun 2004

Cause i have built monitors/system units/servers/keyboards for the last 13 years but that doesn't mean to say that i know How the software side off it works..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?