BOOT UP ERROR

toni b 13:23 25 Oct 2004

My laptop does not boot up correctly anymore.Before I powered on the system and it would boot up into xp but know it takes a while and i have to "press f1 to resume" to finishing loading xp.I have set the bios back to factory defaults. no joy it appears that the computer is checking the memory every time it boots up, I can just catch the error message " SYSTEM CONFIGURATION DATA READ ERROR " Can somebody please advise me on how to fix this annoying problem. I have done various searches but to no joy your advice would be appreciated

Regards Toni

curlylad 13:28 25 Oct 2004

Try this , start , run then type sfc /scannow then OK.
Make sure you leave the gap between sfc and /.

toni b 13:53 25 Oct 2004

Ok tried the suggestion from Curlylad no joy.
if I leave the system to try and boot up then i get a double beep (2 short beebs) I guess this is after it has checked the memory. my comp is a zd 7000 us version with BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.33 06/07/2004 I have 512 ram if this is of any use.
P.S

toni b 13:53 25 Oct 2004

Ok tried the suggestion from Curlylad no joy.
if I leave the system to try and boot up then i get a double beep (2 short beebs) I guess this is after it has checked the memory. my comp is a zd 7000 us version with BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.33 06/07/2004 I have 512 ram if this is of any use.

toni b 17:53 27 Oct 2004

bump !

Dorsai 18:06 27 Oct 2004

beep codes. this is the BIOS's way of telling you what is failing the POST. (Power On Self Test)

click here for a detailed explanation + the meaning of various beep's.

toni b 12:04 02 Nov 2004

By flashing the bios it now appears that all is well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?