blue screen error notification

deggsymann 14:59 02 Jul 2004

I keep getting a recurring error screen informing me that windows has shut down to prevent damaging my pc. This can happen every half hour or so, or i can go up to a full day then get it.

The error codes given are usually one of the following

problem with following file - win32k.sys
page_fault_in_non_paged_area
Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
stop 0x00000050
0x000000d1

The error message says i could have a fault with my memory so I have downloaded the windows ram tester and gave it 3 passes and had no faults.

My pc is one that i got from work (we had a new large format printer that came with its own pc so the old one was spare).It ran fine with windows NT.

All i did was swap my hard drive (running xp pro) from my old loads slower pc with the one in the work one and put in my dvd writer. I installed all the drivers from the work pc disks, went to the various websites for updates and had several hours of trouble free running.

I am wondering if there is any way to test the ram in my video card?

My specs are a pentium 2.4 processor, one stick of 512mb DDR33 ram, Geforce mx440 video card with 64mb ram.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated (by the way i have had to type this twice as i got a bluey first time)

deggsymann 15:02 02 Jul 2004

oops forgot to put a space in the faults.....

stop 0x00000050

0x000000d1

deggsymann 15:02 02 Jul 2004

oops forgot to put a space in the faults.....

stop 0x00000050

0x000000d1

rawprawn 15:26 02 Jul 2004

click here check this I think it may solve your problem.

sil_ver 15:26 02 Jul 2004

Did you do a clean install of XP to your PC or just fit the HDD already setup. If the latter then it could be a problem with the mobo drivers. In either case I would try uninstalling/reinstalling all the drivers again

deggsymann 16:51 02 Jul 2004

i did in fact just add the hard drive and not install xp fresh.

I will give the uninstall/install route a try one driver at a time and see if i clear it or at least narrow it down to one thing.

Is it a good idea to try a mates video card/memory sticks as well or will that complicate matters further?

Cheers for the quick responses though

sil_ver 18:29 02 Jul 2004

You could try any cards you like but I think your problem will lie with the Operating System as they do not like to be moved to a different PC or Mobo.

€dstowe 18:41 02 Jul 2004

WXP "knows" the computer it is installed in. It is not possible, therefore, for it to work properly in a machine it doesn't recognise - as you appear to be trying to make it do.

You would be best doing a fresh re-install of XP in your "new" machine.

Note: I think this error message can also indicate a corrupt file system on the hard drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:01 02 Jul 2004

System has recovered from a serious error
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

This problem can be caused by:

1. A damaged Virtual Memory Manager Page file.

2. A faulty RAM (memory) module.

3. A RAM module that is NOT compatible with the computers chip set.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?