The Blue screen of death - or is it?

totalnovice 00:14 07 Nov 2008

Basically, last week, I switched on my laptop (XP) and got a blue screen when I booted up which said;

Checking file system on C. The type of file system is NTFS. Volume label is HDD. One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.

I let it run for its consistency check, which took about a minute and it then re-booted itself and when it re-started, I had the option of launching in regular XP home edition or in recovery mode. So I clicked 'Home edition' and managed to access my computer fine.

Now, every time I log on, it starts off by asking me if I want 'XP home edition' or 'Recovery mode', and then when I click 'home edition', it starts to boot up and I again get the message that a file needs to be checked for consistency blah blah blah, so as I have run this several times and it hasn't helped, I'm now skipping the check.

I'm a total novice (hence the name!) so have been looking up and down the length of the net for an answer. So far, I have tried the following;

Ran HD Tune on my computer and the results were 'Ok' - said there were no issues and everything seemed to be working find on the hard drive

Ran CCleaner and got rid of a bunch of dud files and did a registry check....it repaired 303 problems.

I then looked into the manufacturer of my hard driver (seaman or something) and then ran a diagnostics check on their website. It went through the check, rebooted the system and once again I got the same messages. This time, I let it run its consistency check and when it was over, I got a message that said something like 'disk clean'. But when I switched it off and on again....back to square one with blue screen etc.

I have run Chkdsk and tried to defrag, but it wont let me, giving me a message that a check is already scheduled. I also tried retoring to an earlier point and it won't let me do that either.

One other slightly weird thing I noticed was that my AVG virus checker won't update. I have a exclam mark in my bottom tool bar. When I try to update it, it says 'connection with update server failed'. Wondering if this is all connected.

Anyway, am really fed up with it all now. I was at the point of just cleaning the thing up and reinstalling everything....and then discovered in a recent house move, I have lost my Windows XP pack and disk. Ouch.

Can anyone suggest something, anything?

BT 08:14 07 Nov 2008

When you get a Chkdsk every time you boot up it is often a sign that your hard drive is failing. I would do a backup of your inportant information as a matter of urgency.

chub_tor 10:33 07 Nov 2008

click here shows some solutions for this problem that have worked for other installations. Suggest that you read through the post and pick out the solution for you.

Les28 11:09 07 Nov 2008

Just wondering if you've had any hard shut downs lately, power cuts etc.
Might be an idea to download a fresh installation of AVG to your desktop, disconnect from the internet, uninstall the old AVG, install the fresh download, then connect to the internet again and update your new AVG and see if that updates ok and if you still have the blue screen on startup.

Otherwise similar advice to chub_tor regards unsetting the dirty bit, fourth message down page

click here

or this fix to do it at Kellys Korner number 82 left hand side of page

click here

Les28 11:36 07 Nov 2008

Just reading these recent things with AVG automatic updates, whether this has any connection with your AVG exclamation mark

click here

You could try updating your AVG manually instead of auto, see if that cures your blue screen, otherwise I'd reinstall it and update it manually and see if the problems gone away before resetting the dirty bit.

Les28 14:35 07 Nov 2008

Here's the AVG remover tool website to remove AVG rather than using add/remove programs in control panel. Maybe a fresh AVG reinstall later and it might work OK.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?