Blue Screen of Death?

Legslip 23:54 03 May 2005

My friend has asked me to look into a problem with his HP Pavillion 710 PC. Whenever he switches on it constantly boots into a different B S of D every time. I cant get it to boot into Safe Mode (same prob) or seem able to get into the BIOS (del key). When I switch on it also fails on the initial B & W screen to outline the system details. It is running XP hHome but he cannot find his XP disk although there is a Product Key label on the case.
Any ideas?

woodchip 00:05 04 May 2005

You can use any XP cd if you use the key but it will need to be correct version home or Pro

p;3 00:07 04 May 2005

personally , no:(

however, each BSOD gives an error message and number? if you can post those messages and error numbers on forum, someone more knowledgeable should be able to assist:)

Legslip 00:17 04 May 2005

Thanks guys. p:3 there are so many different BS of D's appearing,allcontaining War & Peace that it would take me ages to write out the details. Trying to boot from XP Setup floppys but not having a lot of luck.

Legslip 00:21 04 May 2005

As I cant get into the BIOS I cant force it to boot from the CD Rom with the XP disk in it.

Legslip 01:05 04 May 2005

Now into the BIOS and set to boot from XPM CD ROM. Starts to load/setup then states that 'file ftdisk.sys' is corrupted.

p;3 06:49 04 May 2005

for the day shift:)

more detail of hos OS and main programs would help; I think he is infected but could be drastically wrong:(

what AV did he have on there if any?

Legslip 07:21 04 May 2005

Thanks p:3 but if it was a virus surely it would not block a clean re-install of XP? I'm thinking it may be a dodgy hard drive. I have got a spare one at the office. Will bring it home this evening and see if I can put XP on it.

woodchip 10:46 04 May 2005

This looks like a Heat related Problem or Memory fault. I would first check that the CPU Fan is doing what it should do cool the CPU. Take the side of computer case get a Hair drier put on cool blow start computer and point drier at CPU. see if it boots

Legslip 10:54 04 May 2005

Thanks Woodchip. Will try 2nite.

Legslip 14:19 04 May 2005

Lunchtime, quickly tried another H disk but still no good. After trying to load XP after about 1 min BS o D comes up 'problem caused by following file ACPI.SYS' and also states PPAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

Any suggestions?

Not much left other than m-board & processor!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?