Blue Screen, BOOTMGR, SSD Failure?

davidbittern 02:20 29 Nov 2015

This evening I was using my PC as normal, when I got a blue screen crash out of nowhere. The automatic reboot was normal until I got the message 'BOOTMGR is missing', I restarted again, went to the boot menu and my SSD which holds the OS wasn't showing up.

I tried rebooting a few more times, then left it for a while, on return I tried clearing CMOS - not sure if I was successful here, but irrelevant as shortly after I pulled the CMOS battery out and left it to drain.

On starting the computer I got a different (the default?) BIOS - my hard drive was showing in the boot menu again so I selected and booted succesfully.

I then restarted and went to advanced BIOS settings (the real BIOS was back, not the 'default' one?) and set my SSD as the primary drive. I think it then booted as normal, before me restarting again.

I then got a message about boot failures relating to voltage, and it reverted to the other BIOS again, I then booted through the Boot Menu and came here.

What's up, is my hard drive failing or my BIOS, or something else?

I don't have any kind of OS disc to use for repairs, though could try something else now I'm back on to this system, I suppose.

Thanks in advance for any help!

David

System details:

• Gigbyte Z68AP-D3
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • OCUK Vertex2 SSD
  KPC 11:47 29 Nov 2015

Have you checked that you have the latest version of the Bios?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?