blown fuses!! do you believe this one?

  niknax 21:09 12 Nov 2004

someone i know, pc kept blowing fuses!! he took it into to get repaired (under warranty) the guy told him it happened because 'he had pushed the 'on' button too hard, this caused it to travel too far back and it was arcing on something causing it to blow the fuses in the plug'?



  kev.Ifty 22:16 12 Nov 2004

My response to MR Shopkeeper, would have been something along the lines of, "Oh my God! you mean there is an electrical fault with these PC's? I'll have to inform Trading Standards! I could have been electrocuted. Any chance of my money back?"

If something like a switch, which is obviously going to be touched by the user, can short out then the manufacturer could be prosecuted.

What happened "next". Did your friend accept the explanation?


  niknax 22:18 12 Nov 2004

yes he did


  Sir Radfordin 22:27 12 Nov 2004

If there was a fault in the design of the switch then yes there is an argument for this causing a fuse to blow, however the solution is to fix the problem not tell the user to be kinder to the PC.

kev.Ifty's suggestion of involving Trading Standards would be a wise move.

  fly2hi 00:08 13 Nov 2004

Or...invest in a pair of marigolds.

  Forum Editor 08:24 13 Nov 2004

via a computer's on/off switch. For one thing it's made of plastic, and for another there's no mains voltage on the switch - it's on the low voltage side of the transformer in your PSU.

Blown fuses are caused by faulty wiring more often than not, and your friend would do well to check his power lead first. If that's OK then the PSU (Power Supply Unit) is the next likely culprit.

If the wiring on the supply side is OK then tell your friend to take the machine back to the suplier and tell them what I've said. He should ask them to carry out the simple test of powering up the machine in the shop - several times. If there's a fault inside the PSU the fuse in the power plug may blow in the shop.

  Gongoozler 08:32 13 Nov 2004

As the FE said, unless the computer is pre about 1998 and has an AT power supply. They are the ones where the computer displays a message "It is now safe to turn your computer off" or something on those lines. These actually switch the mains.

  Magik ®© 09:49 13 Nov 2004

or of course, the wrong fuse rating, or was it anti-surge...................

  Graham ® 10:05 13 Nov 2004

Please allow me to insert a small comment. An electric shock will make you jump, it will shock you.

Electrocution is death by electric shock.

  john-232317 11:37 13 Nov 2004

Another small comment...

so it can cause more than make you jump ??

  Gongoozler 12:39 13 Nov 2004

To clarify (hopefully) the operation of the ATX power switch. One pin on the switch is connected to 0 volts. The second pin is connected to 5 volts via a resistor (this is a permanently on standby 5 volt supply), and to a controlling pin on the power supply connector. When the switch is pressed the power supply control is shorted to 0 volts, telling the power supply to switch on. Because of the way this switch works, shorting to the chassis (which is also at 0 volts) is most unlikely to cause any damage but may cause erratic power-on behaviour.

I recently repaired a computer where the power switch had been pressed in too far. In a quality case the switch is mounted on the metal case front. In this cheap case it was mounted on the plastic front panel where it was located in a plastic clip and held in place by hot-melt glue. I refitted the switch, secured the clip with a tywrap and applied hot-melt glue to prevent the assembly slipping.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?