Blood Pressure Chart

johnincrete 11:23 04 Dec 2009

I take my blood pressure 3 times every day: early am, midday & before bed. Each reading has 3 values: systolic, diastolic (both blood pressure) and pulse. Because of the vagaries of the meter, I take a second reading each time.
I want to record the readings in an Excel 2003 spread sheet and then convert to a line chart. So, on the line chart there will be 6 values for each date/time and producing 6 lines. It would be great to have each line in a different colour.
Can anyone advise me what columns and rows I need please?
I am thinking of:
column A: date formatted to dd/mm/yy
column B: time of day - I am not sure whether to use 1,2 & 3 OR a,b,c OR AM, MD PM
Column C through E: test 1 with
C = systolic, D = diastolic, E = pulse
column F through H for test 2.
Will this work or do I need to have date & Time in one column to be the x-axis?
I see that I will need to select the date/time column (s) and then a reading column to create a line. How do you select more than one non-contiguous column?
Having created a chart from existing readings, how do I update it when I add a new row - or do I need to re-create the whole thing?
Am I breaking forum rules asking for so much advice?

johnincrete 11:24 04 Dec 2009

The meter I have does not have a download facility with its own software. Can't afford to scrap it & buy one that has.

VoG II 12:22 04 Dec 2009

You probably want a dynamic chart like this click here

I would put the dates and times in a single column like

4/12/09 10:45

which will then enable plotting a time series.

Belatucadrus 12:53 04 Dec 2009
  wiz-king 13:33 04 Dec 2009

Quick word of warning - dont take your blood pressure after spending an hour trying to get the Excel graph as you want it. *grin*

Spark6 14:57 04 Dec 2009

For future reference having had a stent fitted last year.

johnincrete 08:31 07 Dec 2009

wiz-king: Good advice!
VoG: I think I'll just re-generate the chart each day - too complicated for me but thanks anyway.
Belatucadrus: thanks for the suggestions. Would be good if there was only one reading at a time & maybe I'll use one after I have seen the doctor because I cannot get any sensible suggestion as to which of the 3 readings is the better.
Spark6: I hope the stent works as well as it has done for a friend of mine in UK

Technotiger 09:30 07 Dec 2009

Hmm, I should have a stent fitted, but the surgeon has told me, that in my case the op would probably kill me anyway - at best, I would only have a 50:50 chance of surviving the op, but he did fit an artificial vein from just below my neck down to my leg.

Still smiling :-)) but good luck to anyone else in a similar situation!

johnincrete 13:22 07 Dec 2009

What's killing me is "no salt".
Watery veg, mashed potatoes no salt & no butter & no taste!
I'm OK with salted peanuts provided I lick the salt off first.
Same with the sugar coated almonds we get here.
I choose to believe the medics who say red wine is good for you - the local red wine produced in the village is wonderful & light.
We have a Cretan expression which loses a bit in translation but is something like "Slowly, slowly". Not a bad idea to just sit & meditate on how many wonderful things there are in our lives. Forget Brown & the banking crooks and look at the sunshine over the sea - you might have to visit me in Crete for this!

Snec 15:15 07 Dec 2009

"Which of the three readings is the better"

Having been on a similar exercise I know that the medics in my case merely averaged the readings. In my case the earliest one (after being in bed)was always the highest. Eventually it went to one a day then one a week. My own GP didn't like the notion of too many readings in any case as he believed too many readings could be counter-productive. My average now is something like 125 over 70. When I started in 2006 I was 200+ over something so at the the pills are working LOL.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?