blank cd-r registers as cd-rw when try to record

[DELETED] 12:18 01 Apr 2006

I recently bought some Tevion blank CD-Rs. The first one I used was ok. But the rest, if I try to burn an audio CD I get a message saying the CD-R is a CD-RW. If I try to burn a data CD I get the same message, as if I were trying to record an audio CD. Before I take long walk to Aldi and have a row, is there any way this could be down to my software (Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4)? I have Windows ME

[DELETED] 12:33 01 Apr 2006

Should have added that if I ignore the warnings (that CD-RW CDs may not be played on home or car stereos) and try to make a data disk, the session is aborted and I get message saying th disk is write protected.

[DELETED] 16:55 01 Apr 2006

I have a 50 tub of DVD+R by Ricoh. The first 20 worked OK. Then 2 reported they were DVD+RW and did exactly the same as you've seen. The next 10 were OK. Still 10 to go.

I've had similar results from other makes. I think CD/DVD blanks do produce some errors. In the past I've tried the 'faulty' blanks in other CD/DVD burners and they've worked OK. It seems to be a matter of compatibility.

Not sure it's the retailers fault either!

[DELETED] 17:39 01 Apr 2006

You won`t have a row at Aldi just a refund, no questions asked if it`s like my local one. I have found them very good.

[DELETED] 22:18 01 Apr 2006

Agree it's most likely a disk/recorder compatibiltiy issue.

I've burned around 80 Tevion CD-R's (audio and data) without a problem.

[DELETED] 15:10 05 Apr 2006

Apologies to you all for not responding - I didn't think anyone was going to answer! bloo meeny - have used many Tevion disks in past with no problem + the first of the pack worked. Ray5776 - I did manage to have a row with Aldi - the checkout guy insisted on counting the remaining disks I returned so he could open a replacement pack and remove a similar number!!!! Despite me telling him I'd only used one, he persisted, losing count once, only to eventually admit there were, indeed, 49 disks remaining. All this with a queue behind me stretching half way down the store.

More relevantly am having exactly the same problem with the new pack.

[DELETED] 16:04 05 Apr 2006

Sorry you had a row at Aldi I can only speak from personal experience, I took back a faulty TV after 10 months, they did not even open the box just gave me a full refund in cash, looks like you got the other extreme, sods law :-)

ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

Meet Superfiction, the little design studio with a load of character

Best Mac buying guide 2018

Comment résoudre les problèmes de connexion internet d’un iPhone ?