BIOS Update

fholden 15:01 16 Jul 2008

I have just got a new PC that I have built. The motherboard supports my processor BUT it needs to have a BIOS update first. Basically (I dont think there is but it would make it a hell of a lot easier) is there any way of updating my BIOS without having to find a compatible processor to use whilst I update the BIOS?

day2strike 16:55 16 Jul 2008

Have a look at the Motherboad makers website for the BIOS update.

Ditch999 17:20 16 Jul 2008

Download your new bios and get it ready for install via the floppy disk method. Your mobo manual will tell you how to do this.
Boot up the PC with your new CPU and go straight in to the BIOS where there should be a facility to update it via floppy. Run through this process and when its finished reboot as instructed. Your CPU should now be listed during POST.
You will not harm your CPU, the BIOS has safeguards against it.

fholden 17:30 16 Jul 2008

I cannot get to post, it wont boot without a compatible CPU, my sceen just stays blank!

woodchip 18:41 16 Jul 2008

Some motherboard use the Motherboard CD to update the BIOS. Check it out also the Instruction Manual you got with the Board

crosstrainer 18:53 16 Jul 2008

Can you please post Exact make and model of Motherbiard and CPU?

fholden 12:34 17 Jul 2008

My PC has the following spec:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 LGA775 'Wolfdale' 2.66GHz (1333FSB)

HIS ATI Radeon HD 3650 ICEQ3 Turbo 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express)

Ditch999 12:55 17 Jul 2008

It should at least get to the POST screen. If it doesn't then you need to check all cables are connected properly and are secure. Is the extra power cable connected to the motherboard?
Remove any item not required (sound card, CD/DVD drives, additional hard drives, etc) and only use 1 stick of memory if you have more.
Then try to boot.

I am Spartacus 13:29 17 Jul 2008

From my limited experience with an Asus board if it won't support the processor without a BIOS update then it won't POST.

bjh 15:26 17 Jul 2008

No compatible processor = no POST = no ability to upgrade BIOS. Agree with the other posters.

You MIGHT be able to reach POST witout full processor support by manual adjustment of voltages. Not for the unskilled, and not recommended.

Ditch999 15:57 17 Jul 2008

Beta:
"With no Processor, all your gonna get is a series of BIOS Beeps." Who said take the processor out?

bjh:
"No compatible processor = no POST" Not always true, I'm afraid.

fholden:
Do you get any display at all, or any beeps, or any lights on the front panel when you switch on?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?