A big blunder - deleted drive

Yimbo 14:28 09 Nov 2018

I don't know how it happened, but on my "This PC" page, when formatting a USB stick, the Local Disc next to it has also been formatted. This is a plug-in hard drive which I used as the back-up to the main disc drive. I can re-copy files from this to the back-up disc, and so far so good. However, additionally my back-up disc contained a number of various other files which have been deleted in the formatting process. What I'm asking is whether there is any hope of restoring the Local Disc to its pre-format condition or, as I fear, are the contents gone forever?

xania 14:49 09 Nov 2018

Having anything written to the drive will have probably destroyed any vestige of a hope that you might be able to recover your files but check your recyle bin and if this fails you can try Recuva from the url click here

john bunyan 14:58 09 Nov 2018

I would try Easus recovery wizard

Easus

john bunyan 15:01 09 Nov 2018

PS It is free!

Yimbo 17:27 09 Nov 2018

Thanks for your replies folks. ixania, I tried recuva which produced a lot of music files, but none of the folders I really wanted. john bunyan, I also tried Easus which seemed to recover many more files, but it wanted me to pay for the actual recovery, which I didn't want to do without seeing what I would be getting. You did say it was free!! Was I missing something out?

john bunyan 17:55 09 Nov 2018

Sorry. The scan is free but I think limited to 2gig. I think the pro version is around £70- Sorry. I seem to remember that a long time ago I had a free version of the pro one.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)