best way to boost wifi

mco 12:04 27 Aug 2004

Hi. I've set up my laptop to connect wirelessly onto our bt broadband network. I put a wireless card into the BTmodem. Everything works - but - it's the old problem of poor signal strength in a solid brick Victorian house. For various reasons I can't change the location of the base station, nor can I go knocking brick walls down. What's the best thing I can buy to boost the signal (or is it just a lost cause when we're talking brick walls?) I've seen things advertised that look like antennae - but because I did wifi through a slot in card, where and how would I attach such a booster? Is there another type? Many thanks!

Graham ® 12:19 27 Aug 2004

Would this work?

click here

Graham ® 12:20 27 Aug 2004

Would this work?

click here

~£10

mco 14:48 27 Aug 2004

I get what it's trying to do but the cardboard thingy has to go around your own antenna - well, my wifi set up doesn't have an antenna...so..er..?

Graham ® 15:04 27 Aug 2004

Yes, I realised that. But there will be an internal antenna, so you could place it near the modem. Other ideas on that site, such as placing a mirror to go round corners and bouncing off a garage door.

mco 15:08 27 Aug 2004

oh I see! Sorry to sound thick! Well if I could just place it near the modem and try some of the other ideas, at least if it's only a tenner it's worth a try.

Graham ® 17:59 27 Aug 2004

You could try some kitchen foil!

mco 18:32 27 Aug 2004

I might just try that! - loads of people fiddle about with home made antennae; something to do in the holidays!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?