Best hard drives

madPentium 21:13 20 Dec 2003

I have recently had a bad batch of both seagate and maxtor drives (80gig). Should I class this as un-normal or is there a better make to go for?
I've had a maxtor as my system drive for a year now with no probs, and a seagate on the 2nd ide channel for 2 years, still zipping along. I thought these were 2 very good brands ?

The problems I had with 5 of each of those drives was bad clusters developing. Running chkdsk /r did fix them, but the same clusters became unstable within an hour of use again.

Wierd I know.

Jester2K II 21:15 20 Dec 2003

I would say thats ab-normal.

Always use Seagates and never had a problem. My original 4 Gb is still in my mates PC running Windows XP.

It could be a bad batch of Seagate (does happen with all makes) Maybe look at the warranty and after sales care. Decide from that if you can..

MAJ 21:17 20 Dec 2003

Normally, Maxtor, Seagate and Western Digital drives are the ones to go for, madPentium. Looks like you've been unlucky.

madPentium 21:18 20 Dec 2003

The drives were all replaced with no questions, thats another reason I like them so much.

Its just when you spend time building a machine for a specific purpose, set it all up and the damn hard drive fails. This is just slightly annoying.

alcudia 22:09 20 Dec 2003

Recently bought three Seagates, even after having one fail. Two years old and replaced within a week. I know it's annoying when one dies on you, but I don't think I would any other make. And they're a doddle to set up with their disk wizard.

sdf 22:12 20 Dec 2003

Every Seagate Barracuda I have ever bought has served me well. Not much luck with western Digital though - had 3 fail on me

madPentium 22:36 20 Dec 2003

thanks for all your input, I think I'll stick with them and put it down to a bad day at the factory :)

carver 22:44 20 Dec 2003

I've just had 2 Maxtor DiamondMax 9 80GB/ata133/7200rpm hard drives fail within 3 days of installing them, first one sounded like a cement mixer and the second one started sounding like a floppy drive with the amount of clicking coming from it. When I checked on the Maxtor site both had been made within a week of each other both had been made mid August.

SketcH 22:46 20 Dec 2003

I've been using a Maxtor for two years.

Its been through 5 re-formats and 2 operating systems.

If I threw it against the wall, odds are it would bounce.

I guess its just a luck thing, and not a brand thing.

Yea gotta agree with you SketcH. I've had an IBM 'Deathstar' on my old PC, working for 2 years. However, my friend has had 3 die on him in the space of a month.

As for now, I use Maxtor DiamondMax 9. I wouldn't trade it for anything else....

josie mayhem 23:42 20 Dec 2003

I've got maxtor on this machine no probs so far.

But I have also got two seagates, which are from the ark about 2g and 2.2g these are kept in my very old P1 machine, and I can't tell you how many times I've reformatted them, I've also use them if I can't get into a hard drive that needs reformating.

Either maxtor or seagate disc manager are easy to use, and easy to download from the net.

I Also got a samsung driver, but getting the disc manger downloaded was a night mare, and when I completed the disk and went to run the manager it was corrupted, so I haven't really got a good format on it (used the good old win 98 to format)

So I for one would always vote for either the seagate or the maxtor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?