best free system utility software

Gordon Freeman 17:00 26 Dec 2015

Can anyone recommend a good, free, system util sw?

I'm sure it's been mentioned on here before but can't find it.

Basically just want to give my PC a good clean out, get rid of crap, prior to new year. CCleaner is not what I'm referring to by the way, I have that but it has limitations. All this is prompted by avast to be honest which tells me I have 177 errors which is slowing down my pc, but they want to charge me for it of course for their system optimiser, but I don't want to pay for this. Thanks.

[DELETED] 20:45 26 Dec 2015

The thing is, do you believe everything you read? Ccleaner is sufficient. Look in event viewer and you'll most probably have hundreds of errors. Just like every one else.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:53 26 Dec 2015

tells me I have 177 errors which is slowing down my pc so it can sell you the pro version with PC optimise

its probably not slowing down your PC - be very careful of any PC "optimisers / speed up software" as they can often do more harm than good.

Gordon Freeman 21:10 26 Dec 2015

rd13/fb - ok point taken - this is one of the things which actually annoys me these days with avast, which I used to trust...

spuds 23:04 26 Dec 2015

Most of the utility systems have their pros and cons, and on that basis I tend to suggest that it is the individual who as the final choice.

On all my machines, I have CCleaner, then the following which I use randomly, but with caution. Toolwiz Care - Glary Utilities - WiseCare 365. Which I find are good, and not to savage. All may show a negative or positive with scans, on comparisons. So bear this in mind!.

[DELETED] 23:30 26 Dec 2015

spuds .... there you go again!

Bin the lot, Toolwiz Care - Glary Utilities - WiseCare 365 , they do sh*t to help your PC except slow it down a tad.

[DELETED] 23:34 26 Dec 2015

For years I've been suggesting you no longer fart around with these useless software and still you can't avoid the temptations.

There's no hope for you spuds......

martd7 12:56 27 Dec 2015

Rdave 13 have to agree total rubbish,"glary utilities" wiped quite a few important files rendering the PC to error numerous times,that was some time ago but apart from ccleaner id not use anything

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

12 character artists you should know about in 2019

iPad mini 5 release date, price & specs rumours

Test : l’enceinte Bluetooth BW-AS2 de Blitzwolf