best dialup service

2020 18:25 11 Dec 2004

hi my sister is getting a computer for xmas and she wants to have internet access but not sure which isp to use. i have heard of some good deals but she is not bt line..ntl. what r her best options?
many thanks

James-286079 18:57 11 Dec 2004

I was on Supanet for ages before finally getting broadband recently.

Generally speaking, Supanet was fast and reliable and you only pay for a local telephone call while you are online.

click here

pj123 20:01 11 Dec 2004

I am on NTL Broadband 750mbps via my Digital Set Top Box, cost is £24.99 per month. No limits and always connected.

If she is on NTL Digital TV or only has an NTL telephone line check out here:

click here

Scroll down to NTL.

If she doesn't want Broadband but just dialup then almost any ISP will do. They are all PAYG and the charges are on a local call charge (0845) number. If she has NTL 321 account then the charges are 3p per minute during peak times, 2p per minute on off peak and 1p all weekends.

I think she would be better off going straight on to BB paying a monthly sum. No worries then about how long to stay on and also no rogue diallers dialling out on premium rate numbers.

woodchip 20:09 11 Dec 2004

I use BT line and a NTL321 Service that just costs me £15 a month to spend on Phone Calls my Dial-Up is Free 24/7 But I also have to pay BT line Rental about £30 a month

dregn 20:45 11 Dec 2004

I have been using UKonline for six months after a disastrous period with BTinternet.
I pay £13.99 a month on my dial-up connection for their 'Surfanytime' package.
I have had no problems and find the connection speed OK and it connects first time 99% of going online.
User friendly website. They are based in Shepton Mallet, Somerset. I live in rural Scotland.

2020 00:16 12 Dec 2004

many thanks for suggestions, i will follow up. what about 1p a minuet..can i use it with an ntl line?
cheers

2020 00:19 12 Dec 2004

sorry pj123 & woodchip i take your suggestions . just looking for alternatives...thanks

lotvic 02:33 12 Dec 2004

Woodchip wrote:
"I use BT line and a NTL321 Service that just costs me £15 a month to spend on Phone Calls my Dial-Up is Free 24/7 But I also have to pay BT line Rental about £30 a month "

??is that a typo "BT line Rental about £30 a month "
??did you mean a Quarter - cos that's the deal I'm on.

slippy fingers :)
lol

woodchip 18:15 12 Dec 2004

yes it was a typo, I meant a Quarter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?